1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fox dispute?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by markrubi, Feb 23, 2013.

1. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    Watching this weeks ep of the following and saw a crawl about fox maybe going dark 3-12013. I haven't seen this posted here. Searched turned up nothing at least with my search terms.

2. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    This is the problem when one group owns multiple stations in one market. I hate it and the consumer loses, either by being held hostage or by being skewered by higher rates.

"What is the best way for the public to influence this matter?
    A: We believe that DirecTV’s subscribers should simply let DirecTV know that they will no longer subscribe to DirecTV if it does not carry the stations that they want. We also believe it would be appropriate for DirecTV subscribers to demand that DirecTV reduce their bills if they no longer carry one or more of the most popular channels."

Then the calls will come in demanding a huge credit, only to informed that the actual financial impact is 10 cents per day for the entire local channel offering, not just those channels.

3. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    And then when you are told the financial impact is 10 cents per day (or $3 a month) for the ENTIRE local channel offering when ESPN is now $5.40 a month per sub, one can see the BS DirecTV is spewing when they claim that the local station wants a 50% increase and as thus, DirecTV claims they are refusing to pay.

4. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    One provider may not seem to be important but if DTV caves to every provider who wants a 50% increase our bills will go up commensurably.

What I would like to see, and it may already be possible, is to pay just for the channels that interest me. My guide shows over 800 channels, 500-600 excluding PPV. I probably watch a dozen of them with any regularity. I would probably pay a lot more per channel but a lot less overall.

5. stoutman

stoutman Godfather

Feb 8, 2003
    It just isn't the business model. Period.

6. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    I just purchased a AM21 to go with my HR21. I hope Directv doesnt cave. Besides having the AM21 will be able to get more sub channel