1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Fox going to start an ESPN rival?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by RAD, Mar 28, 2012.

1. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    See http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...to-plan-u-s-sports-network-to-rival-espn.html

So the folks that hate the mouse can now also hate Fox. Either way probably higher rates for us.

2. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I think it was only a matter of time. ABC has all the ESPN channels, CBS has CBS Sports channels, NBC has NBC Sports (formerly Versus) and Universal Sports, Fox is the only one that doesn't have a true nationwide sports network (excluding Fox Soccer which I consider a different case).

3. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    No channel will rival ESPN anytime soon. It will take decades for a channel to overtake ESPN and I doubt that will ever happen.

4. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
  5. Racer88

Racer88 Icon

Sep 12, 2006
    Can only hope they get the NHRA rights and give it something other than the 3rd world/red headed step child treatment that ESPN has always given it.

Though here again other networks such as MAVTV or even FOX's own NASCAR...err I mean SPEED channel are already aligned more towards this genre.

6. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Oh good, ANOTHER Sports channel I have 0 interest in but will probably have to pay an extra $3 a month for anyway!

7. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD

I don't think the MLB or NBA deals are exclusive for cable. Fox has a ton of local rights to both that they may be able to parlay into some national rights.
    As far as I know, the MLB national cable rights could be extended. And Fox has the cable rights to some MLB playoff games. The NBA playoff games are tied up with TNT/TBS/ESPN/ABC...

And don't forget college sports...

8. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    They would be idiots to do this, they would be competing with themselves in the form of all their local FSNs. Plus I remember they already tried making a pseudo-national FSN by turning all their local FSNs into clones of each other and they gave it up for the most part after a while when it wasn't working.

9. espnjason

espnjason Armchair Referee

Sep 30, 2008
    Maybe Fox Sports is looking to consolidate all its national shows so all the teams within the FSN landscape could have greater control of their RSNs as trended with recent deals.

I'd love to see BDSSP come back.

10. skaman74

skaman74 AllStar

Feb 17, 2012
    hope they their own version of sportscenter. Also if they just play soccer i think only 10% of the country will tune in...so they better get some mlb games and take some nascar and put it on there.

11. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    I doubt this. Providers are getting tired of paying Fox an arm and a leg. No chance this gets on Directv anytime soon.

12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I agree. I dont see any provider jumping up and down to add anything else FOX.

13. Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
    I hope it happens. It means more "world" sports will be aired to fill time and that is a major plus for me! Maybe we'll finally get some Cricket without having to pay an arm and a leg!

14. Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    Honestly, I always though with the eyes that YES gets (number 1 regional sports network in the country) and the money behind YES, YES could have moved beyond Yankees and Nets coverage to provide general interest sports news and could have given the main ESPN channel a run.

ESPN is not just one channel, though, so if Fox wants to rival ESPN that's a tall order ...

15. Microphone

Microphone AllStar

Jan 30, 2007
    If they play their cards right and get more agressive than CBS and even NBC, and really don't mind settling for #2 (for now) they could do it. There are many sports fans over 30 that tire easy of the Punk family of channels with annoying crawls at the bottom.

16. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    I welcome it. I hope it is successful. ESPN is old and stale.
    Bring it on.

17. twiseguy

twiseguy Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    Stow, Ohio
    Combine Fox Soccer, Soccer Plus, all the SkySports stuff, and they would have more than enough to run 24-7 with all live global sports.

Sure, it would have some niche sports with rabid fan bases (rugby, cricket, etc.) to start, but that would still be better then what ESPN Classic or Universal Sports have.

18. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Never say never!

Some 25 years ago, people were saying that this start-up network called Fox would ever be a challenge to the big 3 and yet they are.

Some 15 years ago, people were saying that Fox News could never compete against the likes of CNN and yet it has been the most watched cable news channel for how many years now?

Fox has big pockets and the know-how so while they may not be be a challenge out of the gate, I doubt it will be long before they pose a real challenge to ESPN.

19. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Fox has the know-how to get their channel added and I believe providers will be standing in line to get on board and yes, that includes DirecTV.

20. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    ESPN has MLB until 2017 and NFL until 2020. ESPN has SEC Network for like 20 years. They have the ACC locked up pretty tight. NBA and NHL? Who knows how long.

ESPN won't be like broadcast or CNN when Rupert took them on. Content is limited in sports and ESPN controls the really good stuff.