1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fox HD in Seattle/Wa State Area

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by calgary2800, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 9, 2007 #1 of 50
    calgary2800

calgary2800 Godfather

Aug 26, 2006
    Is it ever going to happen FoxHD in Seattle or do I need to say more prayers? This feels like the Stone Ages, what major network is not in HD? :nono2:

2. MichaelMara

MichaelMara Cool Member

May 7, 2007
    According to Tribune, KCPQ's owner, KCPQ is still talking to Dish. We'll see. The holdup appears to be KCPQ wanting DISH to carry MyQ in HD as well (channel 22 I think). The solution should be take KCPQ now and agree to add Ch. 22 when DISH can support it. I mean eventually won't every channel/carrier be in HD? Sort of like the mono-stereo or B&W/color programs from the 60's.

3. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Have you looked at getting it OTA or is that just out of the question? AVSForum has a Seattle thread that's pretty rich on solutions. I live in an urban jungle and have solid reception.

Good luck.

John

4. Brad B

Brad B Cool Member

May 26, 2006
    This issue is one of two that is going to make me get rid of Dishnetwork. It's been almost two years now, I'm tired of waiting. Am getting tired of not have NFL in HD. The other is the fact that I lose my HD signal all the time if it's on 129. Churn is a coming. Too bad, I really like Dish over all and really like their DVR.

5. rictorg

rictorg AllStar

Feb 2, 2007
    Direct TV doesn't carry MyQ in HD, so why should Dish have to in order to carry KCPQ?

6. Pala66

Pala66 Cool Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Hello Brad B. What dish are you using to receive the 129 slot? If your using a Dish 1000 that's your problem. You need to use a single dish dictated to that location dish uses a 24" if you call and complain enough. I'm a do it your self kind of person so I bought a 30" dish and installed it myself to eliminate the problem totally FYI.

7. lazierfan

lazierfan Mentor

Jun 29, 2007
    You'll want to make sure you got fresh batteries in your remote-
    We adjust our FOX volume between every break, every commercial, every show.
    Whoever is in charge of audio balance in FOX Broadcasting Inc. (A News Corporation Company) is getting paid way too much for doing way too little.

FOX standard def one click down on the dish has perfect volume levels.

I have wandered the western half of the country for business and I've noticed the same problem from different FOX affiliates.

8. steeliebob

steeliebob Cool Member

Jan 10, 2006
    I'm with you Brad B ... life sucks for those of us outside of the Seattle Metro area in that respect. No options for OTA. The Hawks games and 24 in HD would be much more enjoyable, especially given the lousy SD KCPQ feed we seem to get. My wife would probably do backflips if she got all the AI shows coming up as well.

Dish did put in a 24" dish for me a last year for 129, it still had problems here on the N. coast in the normal heavy rains we get. We moved to 61.5 and have had better luck, but with the RSN now on 129, I'm going to move it back when I find some time. I'll bump it up though to a 90 CM Dish I bought for my northern travels and hopefully life will be good :)

Come on Dish figure something out for us ... the competition did!!

9. SMosher

SMosher Godfather

Jan 16, 2006
    I have the same issue out of Sacramento with FOX40 KTXL.

10. MichaelMara

MichaelMara Cool Member

May 7, 2007
    Isn't KTXL owned by Tribune as well? As much as it's a hassle, once the contract is up, I will need to move to D* not because E* is so terrible but because of the local issue. There seems to be no end in sight. E* won't talk to us and Tribune is stating it's E*'s issue to fix. Based on what I know, and admittedly it's biased toward Tribune since they at least acknowledge the issue, this is up to E* to correct and they're choosing not to. As is usual, the customer loses and so, rather than fret and whine to a brick wall, I'll have to vote with my feet and leave if this isn't fixed. BTW, My 82 year old father in law just got D* and KCPQ looked really nice in HD. Can't wait til next NFL season.. :(

11. Brad B

Brad B Cool Member

May 26, 2006
    I have the two dish system, but I think I need to get the 30" one for the 129. Still ticked off about Q13.

12. SMosher

SMosher Godfather

Jan 16, 2006
    Correct, KTXL is. I agree with your statement about E* or D*. Its tuff. I had to get a D* sub just for baseball this year. Not E*s fault about MLB EI. It was MLB that yanked the price so high. Its bullcrap. And we the customer are left with either paying high amounts of cash per month for what we want to watch or just sit and stare at the street out front. Thanks for both companies by being hunks of butt fungus.

13. whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    Both sets of stations are owned by one company Tribune. It's trying to force E* to take all of Tribunes stations in all markets even though E* doesn't carry MyTV in other markets.

14. calgary2800

calgary2800 Godfather

Aug 26, 2006
    Its just sad every Sunday the Seahawks look just terrible on my Hitachi HDTV. The only reason I have not left Dish is because I paid for the NHL center ice season already and I love the DVR.

15. Sphagnum

Sphagnum Mentor

Oct 20, 2007
    As stated above, Fox40 in Sacramento has the same issue. Tribune wants all of their 4 Fox stations and something like 12 MyTV stations broadcast in HD on Dish. They are holding out for all or nothing and so Dish chooses nothing. Seattle, Sacramento, and a couple other major markets are not receiving Fox HD from Dish because of this issue. If it's not fixed coming up on next year's NFL season, no question that I am switching. Fox is my most watched local channel!

16. whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    The reason I think that E* is holding out has more to do with how many. That is if they gave in and carried the MYTV stations for these markets then they would have to start carrying them in all markets. That would be a huge number of markets they would have to start transmitting. So until E* has the bandwidth to carry all the CW & MYTV stations across the US then they will have to just hold off these stations in these markets.

17. rictorg

rictorg AllStar

Feb 2, 2007
    What I don't understand is why Tribune will let Direct TV broadcast these Fox stations in HD w/o the same requirements. It's one thing to be protective of your properties, but another to have such obviously better terms for one customer as opposed to another.

18. MichaelMara

MichaelMara Cool Member

May 7, 2007
    Because D* actually wants to retain its customers? Hard to figure what E* is doing. Odd business model- repel as many customers as possible. I thought the point was customer aquisition. Like I said, the local issue is paramount. If that's not resolved, E*'s made my decision for me. They could off the same HD channels on Christmas morning but with the local picture incomplete and no hope on the horizon, it's time to go.

19. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    And what "better terms" are there?

Tribune held out on DirecTV for a while, over this exact issue. You'd have to do a search here for the specifics. As I recall DirecTV and Tribune could not come to an agreement over the other stations Tribune owns, because Tribune wanted more than their FOX stations carried. In addition to FOX, Tribune owns many LARGE CW stations. So Tribune wanted to make sure practically this entire slate is carried, with market rank:

FOX Seattle (14)
    FOX Sacramento (20)
    FOX Indianapolis (25)
    FOX Hartford (28)
    FOX Grand Rapids (39)
    ABC New Orleans (54)

as well as:

CW New York (1)
    CW Los Angeles (2)
    CW Chicago (3)
    My Philadelphia (4)
    CW Dallas (6)
    CW Boston (7)
    CW Washington DC (8)
    CW Houston (10)
    My Seattle (14)
    CW Miami (16)
    CW Denver (18)
    CW St. Louis (21)
    CW Portland OR (23)
    CW Indianapolis (25)

Once the agreement with Tribune was finalized, DirecTV had added CW Chicago and CW LA. Of course, my big guess is Tribune simply wants to have an HD presence in the larger markets, so they are making sure they get carriage of some of their large-market CW stations in order to receive their smaller market FOX affiliates.

20. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.