1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FOX officially passes on renewing Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by cj9788, May 17, 2009.

1. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Sources confirm that not only has FOX officially passed on renewing Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, it’s even dead as far as Warner Brothers is concerned and they are no longer shopping it to other networks.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/17/terminator-the-sarah-connor-chronicles-canceled/18840

In not-so-great geek TV news, however, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles won’t get the chance to ride on the coattails of the next Terminator feature film, Terminator: Salvation, as it has been officially cancelled, EW also reports. The show saw steadily plummeting ratings in its sophomore season, having shared Friday nights with Dollhouse.

http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/05/17/chuck-lives-sarah-is-terminated/

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    We all knew that moving it to Friday night was the kiss of death. Damn I hate Fox.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Chalk it up to a two-fer... it started on Monday vs NFL Monday Night Football... then moved to dead-Friday.

Meanwhile... you'd think they would have wanted to synch-better with the new Terminator film that was bound to gen-up some more interested in a TV show.

4. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    If there was never a clear cut demonstration of the mentality of network tv than the termination of Sarah and the re-animation of Dollhouse, I have not seen it.

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    My guess is that there simply was no way to make the show "affordable" without essentially making it a caricature of itself.

6. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I'm sorry to see it go, but I must admit my interest was starting to lag but was picking up abit with the last two eppys.

7. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    They need to make Summer Glau a doll.

8. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Summer is one of Joss' favorites, so I wouldn't be surprised.

9. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    But does she come cheap? :confused: They may not be able to afford her w/ the impending budget cuts. :(

10. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    She probably takes too much pride in her work to stoop to that level.:D

11. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Sad to see the show not get renewed, it had an interesting premise and good writing. On a slightly off-topic note, why do you think it is that Fridays have become a ratings disaster? Even when good shows are scheduled there, no one seems to watch them.

12. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Date night.;)

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think it's because many at DBSTalk are doing something different on Friday nights ;)

14. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I think good shows can be done on Fridays. Numb3rs has been going on the past few seasons on CBS.

15. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    :D

16. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The total number of viewers of all shows on Friday night is about half the number available on Monday through Thursday. And the observation above about "date night" indicates that the remaining audience may indeed be folks who tend to stay at home and spend less on stuff advertisers are trying to sell.

17. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Exactly. Terminator was designed to appeal to the 18-35 year old demographic, which is who the sponsers want to view their ads. But that's the demo least likely to be home on a Friday night. The half of the viewers that are at home are likely to be over 35, and that demo isn't what the advertisers are looking for.

But this is absolutely standard operating procedure for Fox. They did exactly the same thing with Firefly: interrupted the schedule for reality TV and sports and stuck it on Friday night. Folks who watched it really liked it, but most people couldn't keep track of when it would be on, and didn't want to give up their Friday night for a show that wasn't scheduled consistantly.

My thing is this: SciFi might not draw in the ratings of Idol, but those Idol shows have nearly zero value once they've been shown once. Terminator could have generated money for decades in syndication as well as in merchandising, if it was handled properly (Firefly too). The DVD/Blu-Ray sales of both shows proves it. But the networks, Fox especially, is only interested in TODAY, and gives very little thought to the near-future.

18. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I also don't understand why they are not figuring in the time-shifting for that younger demographic. That would be the age group most interested in tech (don't yell at me, I am generalizing!!) so they would most certainly have DVR's and be recording Friday shows they like. This also allows for any schedule change of the show to still be caught by the DVR as well. It is only people who don't have DVR's who MUST watch on Friday night and keep track of the night the show is on. And those folks are most likely not even in the sought after demographic.

The whole thing seems like a circular argument and a huge lack of foresight by the network. And whoever mentioned it above is right, Numbers is doing very well, as is Flashpoint before it.

19. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    TSCC syndication licensing rights are owned by Warner Bros. Television and the DVD's are sold by Warner Home Video. Fox would see no revenue. If Warner Bros. Television offered the show at nearly zero cost to NBC for a primetime Monday-Thursday slot it would happen (say paired with "Chuck"). But the Warner folks apparently can't make the projected numbers work.

20. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Jeff Kliest from the digitalbits says the following today: