1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fox Reality Channel to Cease Operations

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Jtaylor1, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    Fox Reality Channel to Cease Operations

Source: Broadcast and Cable

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Thanks for posting in the "TV" forum where the topic belongs.

Too bad FOXR can't find enough viewers for their reality crap -- why can't just FOX draw the overflow from the idiot 'wrasslin' crowd? :rolleyes:

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I'm hoping this will lead to many of the other so-called "reality shows" being canceled.

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Reality show are here to stay .. regurgitated reality isn't as exciting because the people that care have already seen it .. why watch again? :shrug:

Certainly there will be a saturation level that will be reached, but as a genre, it's not going away.

5. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    Yeah, reality works best on OTA channels, most likely.

I'm thinking that News Corp really needs a kids channel. Disney has ABC Family and Disney and Disney XD. Viacom has Nickelodeon, Nick Jr, Teen Nick. NBC Universal has qubo.

6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I preferred the former incarnation of "Reality TV", more international, no game shows.

7. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    There are some good reality shows such as America's Got Talent. And the ratings show it is watched by millions. And this reality show gives people opportunities that they might otherwise never have. It even created a lucrative career for Terry Fator at the Mirage in Vegas.

So are your goals to stir up controversy and find posts that are inadvertently posted in the wrong forum?

8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    So, which shopping channel will we put on instead of this channel?

9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Hmmm. Fox cable for kids. FX kids. "The Shield, Jr." R-rated entertainment for your 8-year-old.:grin:

10. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Would probably require a big investment if they wanted to go that way. Fox Reality Channel was relatively cheap because they already had a fair amount of reality programming in their library. I don't think they have much, if any, children's television programming in their library. (The kids' programming that's run on the main Fox network on weekday afternoons/Saturday mornings over the years has either come from outside providers such as Warner Bros. or 4Kids Entertainment, or it came from providers like Saban that were owned by Fox at the time, but were sold off to Disney as part of the same deal that turned the Fox Family Channel into what's now ABC Family.)

As far as I know, they don't even have any classic cartoons they can run -- back in the Golden Age of Cinema, 20th Century Fox was the theatrical distributor for Terrytoons cartoons (Heckle and Jeckle, et al.), but those are now owned by CBS. They do have some full-length kids' movies (cartoons and live-action), but probably not enough to serve as the core of a channel.

11. mike1977

mike1977 Legend

Aug 26, 2005
    How about a scifi channel? I sure miss the one that went away in July! :D

12. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    Sure: Maybe they could put that space-based soap opera on it. :p

13. myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    Remember, Fox already bailed on the Family Channel. They sold it to Disney all those years ago.

They could try getting into the ESPN market with a national Fox Sports channel.

14. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Damn no more Paradise Hotel reruns.:nono2:

15. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
  16. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Just about to watch "Road Wars" from the U.K.

Shows you really can't get elsewhere.

17. lee78221

lee78221 Godfather

Sep 25, 2007
    I hope Fox does something with The Academy, I loved that show.

18. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    They're going to meld National Geo Channel & reality into one.

19. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    The NY Times article notes that the new channel will be made available in HD and VOD forms.

Sounds like a good candidate for D12. :)

Interestingly, the president of Fox Cable Networks said the network was making money, but the new channel should make more.

It sounds to me like it'll be cannibalizing viewers from the main Nat Geo channel and having to compete against the popular Discovery network, Animal Planet.

20. Tele-TV

Tele-TV Godfather

Nov 26, 2003
    I love that show as well. I seen all the first season and have all of the second season on my DVR.

There is going to be a Third Season starting October 24 (Time: TBD), BUT it will be about the Orange County FIRE DEPARTMENT Academy.