1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fox Saturday Baseball "exclusive" blacking out MLBEI games.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by paule123, Apr 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. paule123

paule123 Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    No games on MLBEI until 7pm ET. It's 2009 and this nonsense is still going on? This is not acceptable.

I thought I read that MLB was going to ease up on the blackout rules to stop this insanity?

2. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    nope.

3. trackmannn

trackmannn Cool Member

Feb 15, 2009
    even funnier.. MLB Fox Saturday's is sponsored exclusively by.. you guessed it.. DirecTV.

4. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    It's been like this for years and it's not going to change any time soon.

5. PicaKing

PicaKing Godfather

Oct 8, 2006
    While we may not like the blackout rules, they are the rules and have been for some time. They are clearly explained on directv.com, so if you find them "not acceptable" you should not have signed up for MLB EI

6. teebeebee1

teebeebee1 Godfather

Dec 11, 2006
    MLBTV on mlb.com is your friend on Sat mornings, no blackouts

7. CUDAHY

CUDAHY Mentor

Apr 21, 2007
    It's the one difference between MLB EI and MLBtv. I've never read any explanation for the difference.

8. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    That giant sucking sound is the sports monopolies extracting every last dime out of your wallet.

9. b00stedeg

b00stedeg Legend

May 9, 2007
    And to make it even worse the marlins moved their sat. games to 6pm due to post game concerts now making these games unavailable

10. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    While Bud and Cronies MAY address the blackout situation before the end of the 2009 season(more than likely though it will be before the 2010 season) any forthcoming solutions will not be concerning the Fox saturday game which is in place and contracted for through the 2013 season.

The blackout situation would have been addressed already if the economy hadn't tanked. It's called haircut provisions and was on the agenda multiple meetings but always tabled.

Teams changing the market claimed area is not as simple as just redrawing boundaries.

The boundaries can be redrawn and the claiming of multiple markets can be addressed, but if you do that while under an existing TV contract(Locallly) you will be changing the terms of the contract and more than likely your local TV provider will be asking for some type of rebate since in almost all cases the new adjusted market will be smaller thus affecting ad rates determined by populations and TV's in use in said market.

There is a better chance of MLB prohibiting Saturday afternoon start times for non Fox games than lifting the blackout on Saturday for Fox or Sunday for ESPN.

11. paule123

paule123 Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    Pay MLB.TV another $79 - $109 a year on top of the MLB EI subscription? No thanks.

12. socal404

socal404 Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    The blackouts have nothing to do with Directv. It's to protect Fox's investment in MLB.

13. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    lots of teams try to get by the 'rule' by starting their games at 7:30EST on Saturdays...hopefully the further into the season we get (thus the warmer it gets) we'll see more of those...

Right now, the Rangers have to play the Tigers at 1:05 EST because it's too cold at night to start these games at 7:30...

14. teebeebee1

teebeebee1 Godfather

Dec 11, 2006
    Cheapskate :)

15. DiSH Defector

DiSH Defector Legend

May 4, 2008
    Weather wouldn't have anything to do with the start times. Most teams have a normal saturday start time of about 7pm local time. The afternoon games are put there specifically for the FOX broadcasts. It's not uncommon midseason to see games moved from their normal nighttime start to an afternoon slot because FOX wants to broadcast it either nationally or regionally.

A quick glance down the schedules for each of those teams for April & May shows that they play all night games every saturday except for the games on FOX.

16. GlennDio

GlennDio Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Castle...
    hey I subscribe to both EI for D* and also MLB.TV (for when on road for work or vacation) and I have to admit I hadn't had a ton of luck with the new player (on MLB.TV) until today ...I watched the Rangers/Tigers game and it was just spectacular ... I used a PC connection to my 32 inch Sony 720p set and using my home Fios 20mb/sec connection the picture from FS Southwest was HD quality ...only the audio was a hair off (and I mean a hair) I think it stopped (slowed down) only once all game ... if D* doesn't add Padres/Phillies/Jays games this year I am going to watch the MLB.TV HD feeds from home when an HD feed isn't available on EI ....

17. bill buckner

bill buckner Cool Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    That's such BS. SNY can't come on the air until 7:05 to show the Mets tonight. So we have to miss the first hour. Stupid rule.

18. thestaton

thestaton Legend

Aug 14, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. I've been thinking about getting this over the EI, being FSN Ohio is beyond pathetic, and all the crazy blackout restrictions.

Now I just need to investigate the easiest way to stream video to my tele wirelessly. I think you can do with the airport expresses and a little 3rd party software.

19. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    Well, talk to the Rangers broadcasters then who said that the only reason this weekends games in Detroit are at 1:05 each day is because of the cold weather... Other than that, seems kind of odd for a non Fox game to be at 1:05 on Saturday correct? I'm not saying EVERY team schedules according to the weather, but for this weekend, the Rangers-Tigers series is...

20. mike558

mike558 Cool Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Double check before you order MLB TV. The site says there will be blackouts on Saturdays between 1-7pm. If I remember correctly, they didn't enforce the blackout for the 1st month or 2 last year, but by June the games were blacked out just like the MLB EI package.

From MLB TV: "Regular Season Weekend U.S. National Live Blackout: Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, live games occurring each Saturday with a scheduled start time after 1:10 PM ET or before 7:05 PM ET and each Sunday with a scheduled start time after 5:00 PM ET, will be blacked out in the United States (including the territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands)."

It might cost you a few more bucks in the long run, but I'd suggest doing the monthly sub plan for MLB TV, so you can cancel if they start blacking games out.