1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Fox Soccer to replace DirecTV as UEFA Europa League rights holder in 2012

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mws192, Aug 24, 2011.

1. mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    Fox Soccer has reached a multiyear pact with the Union of European Football Associations for its Europa League tournament.

The new deal for The Continent's second-highest club level competition, financial terms of which were not disclosed, kicks in with the 2012-13 season and extends through the 2014-15 tourney. The exclusive contract will make Fox Soccer the only network in the U.S. and the Caribbean to air both the top-flight UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, previously known as the UEFA Cup.

DirecTV and Gol TV currently hold Europa League rights, concluding with the end of this campaign. The DBS provider and the bilingual, soccer-centric network didn't respond to requests for comment by press time.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/472884-Fox_Soccer_Nets_Three_Season_UEFA_Europa_League_Pact.php

2. DaveC27

DaveC27 Godfather

Apr 14, 2010
    Oh Bugger, I've loved D*'s broadcasting all of the games now we'll probably be just getting Fox's chosen game of the night and if they put it on the plus channel not at all :mad:

3. TravelFan1

TravelFan1 Legend

Apr 1, 2009
    Fox is the currently holder of the rights for the Champions League. And Directv shows other matches, in addition to the ones carried by Fox Soccer and Fox Soccer +. I have a feeling Europa League matches unavailable on Fox Soccer or Fox Soccer + will be available to Directv.

4. Chrismon1001

Chrismon1001 AllStar

Apr 3, 2011
    I really hope its not just 1 or 2 matches and it is everygame as it is now.

5. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    So will DirecTV be showing all the Champions League group stage games not covered by FSC and cohorts again this season? It's the only clutter free TV you can watch these days.

6. paco1986

paco1986 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    Yes!:) And my guess is DirecTV will have a similar agreement as the one they have with GOLTV for the Europa League coverage.

7. loudclapper

loudclapper Cool Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Has anyone heard more on this? I looked at the Wiki page for the list of tv broadcasters for Champions League and under current it states Fox Sports / Directv. For future 2012-2015 it only has Fox Sports. For Europa League it states current as Directv and 2012-2015 as ESPN Deportes / Fox Sports.

I just don't think Directv has anything to do with them now.
    But man were those broadcasts glorious! At half you got commentary free highlights and stadium noise.

8. espnjason

espnjason Armchair Referee

Sep 30, 2008
    I wouldn't mind the bigger games going to FOX and ESPN. But unless FOX and ESPN have plans to make UEFA a major player in daytime television across many of their channels like they did with the last week of the EPL, they should keep D* in the mix for at least supplemental coverage. I am not real fond of delayed broadcasts.

9. russinpa

russinpa AllStar

Aug 11, 2010
  10. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    FOX can still sub-license the overflow to DirecTV. Or it can keep the rights to drive up subscriptions to FOXSoccer2Go.

11. Redbullsnation

Redbullsnation Mentor

Apr 16, 2012
    not subliscensing to DTV, looks like FOX/ESPN/FS2GO will take over now, for DTV subs, its a lose-lose, but for anybody else, its a win-win :D

12. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    A sub-licensing deal can come anytime.

13. paco1986

paco1986 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    Not necessarily. Fox has worked with DTV in regards to the Champions League. So a similar partnership concerning the Europa League is at least a decent possibility. Especially when one considers that there are way more group stage matches (and being played at the same time) in the Europa League.

14. twiseguy

twiseguy Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    Stow, Ohio
    Direct TV Sunday, er Soccer Ticket

15. Redbullsnation

Redbullsnation Mentor

Apr 16, 2012
    They ALREADY sublicensed to ESPN!!! Where else will they sublicense?? They can just put the remainders on tape-delay on both channels and do it live online!! Just like EPL!!

16. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    There are too many matches to show them all on TV. As I said, a sublicense can come anytime. When ESPN sub-licensed he EPL a few years ago, a deal wasn't reached until the week before the first match. It doesn't mean a deal will happen, but it means it can happen.

17. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    :hurah:

18. TravelFan1

TravelFan1 Legend

Apr 1, 2009
    A more appropriate question is: What's left now for GolTv? Just the Bundesliga, since French league and Spanish League are going to the Al Jazeera sports network?
    I have a feeling GolTv will fold soon.

19. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    If that was to happen maybe Al Jazeera could take it over,

20. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    AWESOME.Its about time:hurah: