1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Fox sports 2 needs to be in HD

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by siwsiw, Sep 17, 2013.

1. siwsiw

siwsiw Mentor

Aug 15, 2007
    Can someone form the Dirt team take my request to add the HD version of Fox sports 2 (ch 398).
    This channel is not watchable in SD.

1 person likes this.
  2. oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    Was going to say the same thing, I want my Speed ch back.

3. TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 5, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    I have passed along a request for both of you regarding that channel in HD!

1 person likes this.
  4. dukiebluedoc

dukiebluedoc New Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Me three,needs to be in HD.

5. TommyF@DISH Network

Jan 5, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    You got it! I have sent one in for you too, Dukiebluedoc.

6. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    Same here. How do things such as his not just happen? It's sometimes as though those in charge are clueless.

7. TommyF@DISH Network

Jan 5, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    When the channels switched over, all they did was re-brand their name and change some programming. Our previous contracts with them remained the same. We would need to reach an agreement for the HD station before we can broadcast it. We do appreciate the requests though. :)

8. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    Understand totally. There was plenty of warning of this comimg up so maybe something could have been worked out ahead of time was my point. Appreciate your help.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    In this particular case, FOX seemed to overvalue itself and neither Dish nor DirecTV nor Time Warner wanted to create new contracts with FOX for these channels... so basically FOX just agreed to supply their new channels under the old contracts.

I'm sure IF these channels find an audience, FOX will ask for more, including HD feeds whenever the current contract ends.

Of course, FOX could have thrown the HD bone in to this current contract if they wanted... but I expect they wanted to charge more and since nobody was biting, they decided to wait and dangle that carrot later.

10. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Do we really need another long thread about "channels I want in HD"? We all want all the channels in HD. I'm sure Dish knows that.

11. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    We need FEWER HD channels and we need to eliminate ALL SD channels.

This would allow for better PQ on the HD channels that are left and better quality of programming.

The days of more and more channels must end, we are now getting more and more crap instead of more and more channels HD or not.

2 people like this.
  12. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    That is a DISH problem as they arent really expanding capacity as fast as they are channel count.....There are always going to be more channels to offer, it is up to the providers to keep up with demand capacity.

13. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Barring further technical developments, Both Dish and DirecTV are approaching capacity, there are a limited number of TP's at each orbital = limited number of channels that can be carried without degrading picture quality even more than already is done.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH has about 10 slots left if they don't open up a new western arc transponder or put more channels on each transponder. There is already two transponders on the western arc (one on the eastern arc) with 10 HD channels on one transponder. Is the current compression good enough to let that happen without complaint?

There won't be new HD until DISH finds the space for them. There is one vacant western arc transponder if they are willing to put it to use (although DISH likes to have a hot spare available where they can throw a set of channels in case a transponder goes down).

Looking at the possibility that in negotiations ABC/ESPN may demand HD carriage of the channels DISH carried without permission (per the court ruling) a few years back and Fox may demand FS2 be in HD when that contract ends there is not a lot of space left.

15. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah... I was kind of thinking that Dish probably has enough space to add the Disney/ESPN HD channels if that negotiation goes well... but wasn't thinking there was a lot of room to spare after that.

16. MattE303

MattE303 New Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Please add me as well, DirecTV has had this channel in HD for quite a while now, and the SD feed for it on DISH is *unwatchable*!!!

17. Bubba3

Bubba3 Mentor

Dec 7, 2003
    One more vote in favor of Fox Sports 2 going HD>

18. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    I have yet to find a single thing worth watching on this channel and do not want to pay for any more junk. I already have tons of channels with just junk.

19. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Others feel that way about channels you watch and want. One man's junk is...

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Everything should be in HD ... at a reasonable price. At the moment Fox wants more for the channel than they are already being paid, in combination with more for Fox Sports 1 and probably more for every other Fox channel on the system.

The current stalemate agreement is to carry what DISH carries now in the positions and packages where DISH has them now and in the resolutions that DISH has now. The good news is we get the channels in some form ... the bad news is that stalemates can end in channels being removed.

Personally I prefer a stalemate with channels still carried than losing any Fox channel. So I'll put up with FS2 in SD. But I know everything should be in HD. And one day FS2 will be on DISH in HD.

1 person likes this.