1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Fox Sports Midwest - HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by MizzouTiger, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    I live in the St. Louis DMA and Fox Sports Midwest is on channel 647. Right now it's showing the Cardinals-Cubs game. The Guide has it listed as being in HD - has HD next to the program name in the guide and the description says it's in high def also. But the broadcast isn't in HD. I know FSN Midwest does broadcast some games in HD, but why is the guide info saying HD when D* is not showing it?

I just checked, and D* isn't simul-casting it on any of the other HD channels as they sometimes do.

Anyone else seeing this?

2. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Have you checked channels 96 or 97?

3. St Louis Cardinals Fan

St Louis Cardinals Fan Legend

Oct 21, 2006

I see what you are saying. 647 does have the HD Icon but it's not in HD. Nor is it on channel 94/95.

4. Smuuth

Smuuth DIRECTV A-Team

Oct 4, 2005
    If you are receiving HD locals, and if the FSN is being broadcast in HD, it will be on channel 96 or 97 as noted by DCSholtis. It will be a MPEG4 broadcast.

5. sjso395

sjso395 AllStar

Dec 15, 2006

I was just coming on here to post this same question. During the broadcast, J.B. said the following are showing this game in HD, Comcast on channel #-- and Dish Network on channel #-- . Sucks, I am a huge Cardinals fan in Louisiana and they never show Cardinals games in HD unless ESPN is covering it.

6. sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    It's an errror in the EPG. This has been going on for over a 2 years.

7. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Wait till September when the HD RSNs go CONUS you'll get em then. (Though I assume you would still need Superfan).

8. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    Will all RSN's go HD? If not how can I know if the Kansas City RSN will be in HD or not?

9. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Not all Fox RSNs do games in HD everynight you'll have to keep checking to whatever schedules are out there either in the EPG or on D*s site come September. The ONLY RSNs that are 24/7 are YES, SNY, and the Comcast Sports Nets I believe. The rest are all part time.

10. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    Do these channels or networks have websites?

Were would I go to find out more info on KC's RSN?

11. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    KCs RSN (RSTN) is going off the air after this season. Starting next year Royals games will be on FSN Midwest. RSTN never did any games in HD so if you want Royals in HD wait till next year.

12. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    So whats that mean? Does that mean there will be two FSMW as I have heard rumored in the past. If not then how will it be decided what game will be aired if both Cards and Royals are both playing at the same time? Also, and Im guessing here but this would seem like it would mean that more games would be carried in HD?

13. MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    Yes, I believe so. Actually, here in the St. Louis area, my Guide shows 2 FSMW channels (647 & 648). Channel 647 shows St. Louis sports programming and 648 usually has KC sports programming listed. I can't view 648 here - it is blacked out.

14. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    Just so you know, the Cards/Cubs game was on Dish channel 368 (FSNMW-HD) last night, in HD.

15. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    It means the same thing as it does now. (Split feed of FSMW as stated above). The Cards games will probably remain on the main feed (647) and the Royals stay on (648) which will remain a part time channel as it is currently.

16. spiderman865

spiderman865 AllStar

Apr 12, 2007
    Same as FSN North does with Twins and Brewer games.

17. jkoeller

jkoeller New Member

Feb 1, 2006
    Being a Cardinal fan, I've been trying to figure this out since Spring Training started... When the announcer of the game that's being simulcast in HD list the service providers and channel numbers that the game is on, there's no mention of D* at all; just a couple cable providers and Dish Network.

On D*'s website, if you follow the menu tree to "Programming > HD Channels > HD Sports", you will not see FSN Midwest listed in the RSN section. I just looked over the list of HD channels that are supposed to be coming in the Fall, and FSN Midwest is not listed under the RSN's there, either. My Google searches have been fruitless, so I'm just making an assumption that D* & FSNMW could not come to any kind of agreement to air the HD content. :(

18. dorfmunder

dorfmunder Pick 'em off, Yadi!

Mar 22, 2007
    I was bummed when I figured this out as well. But since the last software upgrade, I'm getting Cards games in HD on all kinds of channels. Is anyone else? It recorded tonight's FSN-broadcasted game (worth seeing twice, WTG Ankiel!!!) on both channel 94 & 730. I also got a game a few nights ago on 94. When in LB view on certain things like older replays or whatever, the sidebars say FSN-HD. Channel 647 is still working as well in SD.

I don't subscribe to the MLB package, and was wondering if this is happening to everyone or a flukey (but welcome) thing happening to me?

ETA: OMG, I'm starting to realize that I suddenly have full-featured MLB Extra Innings without me ever ordering it! I have all the interactive real-time scores, the mix channel, etc. Holy crap! I was going to order it next season, wished I had this year but wasn't going to lay the clams out this close to the end of the season.

Um, so yeah...see if it's working for anyone else in StL!

19. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    A D* CSR told me that right now it's a spot-beam issue. I explained to her everything that is going on with the new sats, but she still was not sure of herself. Hopefully, we'll see the FSN Midwest in HD.

20. rjdude

rjdude Legend

Mar 8, 2005
    That is not necessarily the issue THIS year because of satellite capacity constraints. D* is "selectively" choosing a minimum of two baseball games for MLBEI each day (not including ESPN, locals etc.). This limits what or if they offer any of the RSN HD feeds (again due to capacity issues). It's been announced --starting next year-- (that once the new SATS are up and running) that D* will be able to carry the majority, if not all, of games that are broadcast in HD. So if you subscribe to E.I., you'll be able to see the majority of the games in HD. If you don't, then you'll see your local RSN in HD (if they broadcast in HD) or from a local channel (which may or may not broadcast in HD).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.