1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fox Sports Networks- Blackouts

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Skeeterman, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 2, 2003 #1 of 13
    Skeeterman

Skeeterman Legend

Jun 24, 2003
    I'm somewhat confused on why Dish Network has the FSN channels listed in their Top 150, and that is what I have. But the last two nights(my first try, since I'm new subscriber to DN) I have tried to watch St. Louis Cardinal Baseball on Fox Midwest, and just right at game time, they blacked out the game. If I'm paying for the channel, why is it balcked out?

2. Jul 2, 2003 #2 of 13
    SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    It doesn't work that way.

Baseball (not the DBS companies) have divided the USA up into strictly defined zones. If you live in Kansas, you are probably in the Kansas City zone.

You will get, with the basic package with either provider, the local FSN member with the local team on it. And that is all. You will not get games from other zones. That means you will get Kansas City games.

If you buy the "multi-sport" package on Dish, or the "Sports Pack" on DirecTV, it will give you the other markets FSN members, but ALL baseball, and ALL live NBA, NHL, MLS, WNBA, and SOME NCAA content will be blacked out.

3. Jul 2, 2003 #3 of 13
    DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Now remember this year that the KC Royals now have their own network....though the games are now simulcast on FSN MW that applies to cable ONLY....the Royals are supposedly in negotiations to carry their games on Directv and DISH but there is no deal yet.

4. Jul 2, 2003 #4 of 13
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    To be picky, there is some baseball shown on the Sports Pack:

* Minor league games (once in a while)

* College games (almost never blacked out)

* Any game that goes longer than its scheduled time for any reason (rain delay, extra innings, slugfest)

* Any game that isn't listed in the guide (last-minute double-headers or schedule changes)

It's not much, but it's something.

5. Jul 2, 2003 #5 of 13
    Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    To ensure to be able to see the games if you are wanting them you need to get Direc Tv and get the MLB Extra Innings Package. You should be able to see St. Louis Cardinal games if you live in the St. Louis television broadcast Market which most games are on Fox Sports Midwest and if you subscribed to St. Louis's Local channels that should have KPLR 11. If you don't live in that Market then on Dish you'll be blacked out since Dish doesn't have the MLB Extra Innings Sports Package. Keep in mind Just because you subscribe to all the regional sports packages like Fox Sports Net Midwest and other Fox Sports Net Channels doesn't mean you'll get the games. They will Black out MLB Games.

6. Jul 3, 2003 #6 of 13
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    But Skeeterman says he's in Kansas, which rules out getting KPLR or the St. Louis feed of Fox Sports Midwest.

Now if Skeeterman found a vacation home somewhere in the St. Louis market and moved his dish and receivers there, then he'd be all set with St. Louis locals and FSMW Cardinals games. He'd lose his Kansas locals though.

7. Jul 3, 2003 #7 of 13
    HTguy

HTguy Icon

May 6, 2002
    Don't forget to check other channels when a game you are interested in is blacked out on a given network. Sometimes it's on one of your local channels. Sometimes it's on ESPN, WGN, TBS or one of the "supers."

8. Jul 3, 2003 #8 of 13
    jrbdmb

jrbdmb Icon

Sep 5, 2002
    One clarification, in some limited areas you *do* get some additonal pro sports with the "Sports pack". For example, at my address I get Orioles/Wizards/Caps with Dish AT100. With the Multi-Sport Package, I also get Pirates/Pens. Some subscribers between two sports markets may qualify for this type of arrangement.

9. Jul 3, 2003 #9 of 13
    Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    WGN carries some Chicago Cubs games and TBS Mostly carries Atlanta Braves games. A persons best bet to ensure he could see his his/her favorite baseball team would be to get Direc Tv and order MLB Extra Innings. Even if you were in Kansas you'd still see St. Louis because Cardinal games would be considered out of market. You'd see them in there entirety.

10. shilton

shilton Godfather

Nov 20, 2002
    The Fox channels blacked out are just a free preview of what life will be like once Rupert rules the satellite universe. JUST KIDDING!!!
    Charlie has mentioned in the past, he has no control over blackouts. They have to black out whatever the sports teams tell them to...plain and simple. I live in the heart of Penn State Nittany Lion territory and if the lions are playin' at home, you better believe I am blacked out. It sucks, but I guess they want me to pay for the price of a ticket to the game. it isn't Charlie's fault. He has to do it.

11. Skeeterman

Skeeterman Legend

Jun 24, 2003
    I live here in southeastern Kansas, some 650 miles from Denver, 185 miles from Kansas City, 285 miles from Dallas, and 325 miles from St. Louis. I have listed on DN the FoxSMidwest, and FoxSRockie Mountain, I find no Kansas City games on any of these channels. In fact, the local stations can carry the KC games, only when they are playing away from KC. Sometimes they are shown on ESPN. Now that sucks when you live in a fringed area.

12. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    FS Rocky Mountain rarely showed Royals games, and FS Midwest only had a couple dozen of them last year. That's one reason the Royals formed their own network. A few weeks ago, they sorta caved and let FS Midwest show them on an alternate feed to cable systems only.

Bottom Line: No Royals-originated games if you have a satellite dish unless you subscribe to DirecTV Extra Innings. This year, anyway.

13. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I Cannot figure out why these teams and broadcast networks sometimes make it so difficult to distribute the games on The Satellites. One's best bet to see there favorite game in it's entirety is to have Direc Tv and subscribe to Extra Innings. While Most teams are available on Direc Tv some teams Like the Royals, Phillies, and San Diego Padres don't even have a Regional Sports Network that broadcasts on Satellite. I can remember 5 or 6 years back when Philadelphia pulled Sportschannel Philadelphia or the old Prism Network when the Phillies were on those channels and At that Time Comcast Spectacor (which is now Comcast Sports Net) bought there TV Rights and pulled there network off Direc Tv. Kind of Defeats the purpose of having Extra Innings if you are a fan of either of those teams mentioned and live in that teams respective home broadcast market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.