1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Fox Sports SW to be rebranded as Fox Sports New Orleans

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by thebigeazy, Jun 25, 2012.

1. thebigeazy

thebigeazy Cool Member

May 12, 2006
    South Louisiana
    The is a copy of the new release from WWLTV.com, here in New Orleans:

The Hornets officially announced a long-term TV agreement with FOX Sports on Monday, a move that will make New Orleans’ NBA team the cornerstone of the network’s re-launched sports station in the city.

The new deal will broadcast 75 games per season, including any games that aren’t selected exclusively by the NBA’s national TV partners.

Terms of the deal and length of the deal were not announced.

Additionally, FOX Sports Southwest will re-brand in the city as FOX Sports New Orleans, becoming the network’s 21st regional sports network.

“This is an exciting time for the Hornets and their fans,” said Jeff Krolik, executive vice president of FOX Sports Networks. “The team has generated tremendous buzz with the No. 1 pick in the upcoming NBA Draft. We are delighted to be partners with them and look forward to a long and successful relationship.”

Besides Hornets game and pregame and postgame shows, the new network will show SEC sports and Big 12 sports as well as Texas Rangers games and Dallas Stars games.

The network is available to 1.6 million cable and satellite TV homes in the region.

I'm IN!
    Pinkfish457

2. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    so FOX Sports Southwest will add a FOX Sports New Orleans sub feed.

3. Baldmaga

Baldmaga Godfather

Sep 1, 2007
    Interesting. So I wonder what this does with Louisiana's access to Fox Sports Houston. Not that I care as a fan of the Diamondbacks, but as a resident of "Astros" territory, I assume we will also keep access to their home games.

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Arkansas hates teams from Louisiana. Maybe they will finally give us Fox Sports Midwest so we can watch our "local" team, the Cards.

5. say-what

say-what DIRECTV A-Team

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    The Astros and Rockets are moving to Comcast SportsNet Houston

6. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    cable views may miss out and directv viewers likely will get both.

7. Beachcomber12

Beachcomber12 Cool Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Davenlr,

According to D* website fox Midwest is your local sports station. It is mine in Fort Smith.

Beachcomber12

8. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Supposed to be, but they give us FSSW.
    Tried the "sports finder" on the website, but it doesnt work for me. Just gives me a blank page. Has since hey started putting that "DirecTv anywhere" all over the pages.

Comcast gives me FSSW and FSMW, but the Midwest one is in SD on cable.

9. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yet another new R$N that D* will have to add.

10. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Hmm, FSSW is the main station here in Dallas.

Now we'll watch NO stuff?

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Fox and Comcast have seen the gravy train. One RSN per team. And D* dare not say no to one, or else ;)

12. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Read the thread, thanks for asking.

The only mention of a sub-channel is in post #2 which sounded more like a question than a statement.

The OP mentions FSSW will be rebranded in NO, but also seems to state that all those Hornets games (75, if you read the post) will be shown across the entire FSSW, not just the rebranded FSNO.

So, back to my post:

Now we'll watch NO stuff?

The answer, after reading the thread twice, seems to be YES.

Any other questions?

13. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well according to Wikipedia, D* had the opportunity to get a Root Sports Houston but the Astros and Rockets wanted ownership in the RSN and Comcast gave it to them.

14. espnjason

espnjason Armchair Referee

Sep 30, 2008
    This will act in the same principle as FS Oklahoma which they will show the Rangers and Stars in addition to the Thunder.

15. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Key phrase from article:

"Additionally, FOX Sports Southwest will re-brand in the city as FOX Sports New Orleans, becoming the network’s 21st regional sports network"

The article is a local piece aimed at New Orleans readers.

16. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003

If you think Hornets games would be shown in Dallas, I don't know what to tell you.

17. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    You could tell me where it says otherwise, because while that's probably true, the release doesn't specifically state that and is very ambiguous.

Which is why I originally asked the question.

But thanks for playing.

18. jmpfaff

jmpfaff AllStar

Dec 12, 2004
    Spartanstew,

Fox Sports Houston shows Rangers & Stars games in addition to the Astros & Rockets.

I know we used to get some occasional Spurs & Mavericks games, but I wasn't paying attention this year to see if that was still happening.

My guess is that you will get some Hornets games on nights when the Mavericks aren't playing.

One thing I am interested in is whether the Rangers games continue to be shown down here after the Astros move to the American League next year -- or if we are only allowed to see both because they are currently in different leagues.

19. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    Your guess would be wrong. There is no chance Hornets games will be shown in Texas.

20. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Amused by all these "interpretations" of the NO press release. For us in Arkansas/Texas RSN, FS Southwest will not change for us. Still able to catch the Rangers/Astros as our local teams. If we want the Cardinals, they are available via the Sports Pak addition.