1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fox widescreen

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by John79605, Aug 22, 2010.

1. John79605

John79605 Legend

Feb 9, 2007
    I have strictly SD service, nothing HD in the house.
    I'm in the Abilene/Sweetwater DMA.
    Since our Fox affiliate, KXVA, went digital at the changeover deadline I've been watching widescreen programs OTA, letterboxed, through a converter, and switching to Dish for the 4:3 programs to get a fullscreen picture. The Sunday cartoons are not all widescreen yet. Last week I noticed the widescreen programs were letterboxed on Dish and the 4:3 programs were still fullscreen. Friday at the beginning of the football game an announcer was saying "the black bars are normal" when I tuned in, so I think Fox has changed a feed or a flag or something. What has changed?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I can't say, since I'm tuning to HD feeds even on my SD TV... but there has been mention this season, at least with FOX sports broadcasts, of them sending everything in letterbox format so 4:3 TVs would get that in letterbox supposedly now instead of a 4:3 feed.

Not sure it applies to anything but sports though.

3. John79605

John79605 Legend

Feb 9, 2007
    Letterbox sure makes sense for sports. It might apply to all of the network feeds since Simpsons on Dish was letterboxed last week. Maybe this year there won't be any 4:3 programs on Fox. It's like the switch from B/W to color.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Folks are slowly being weaned off of 4:3 for new content. Previously, even the 16x9 HD feed had to keep all of the information in the "4:3-safe" box in the center. Now that Fox is letterboxing the 4:3 feed, they can use all of the 16x9 real estate.

As old SDTVs die and are replaced by 16:9 TVs, this is a win for everyone. Of course, in the meantime, 4:3 TV owners will complain, but time stands still for no one.