1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Fox wins season C-3 (commercials, live plus 3 days)

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Jun 23, 2009.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    In this Media Daily News story, we learn that Fox viewers still watch more commercials and the DVR users watch more than live viewers. However, Fox numbers (along with ABC, NBC, and The CW) dropped from last year while CBS was the only network to see an increase. This reflects the facts about total viewers generally.

I don't know what that says about Fox 18-49 DVR viewers. Maybe they're so wasted by the time they watch a recorded program, they just let the commercials run.:sure:

2. Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    That's interesting when you consider that Fox has fewer hours of scheduled programming than the other networks, and Fox had two programs (Fringe, Dollhouse) airing with minimial commercials.

3. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    lol....it doesnt mean commercials as in tv commercials....its just another name for the rating system.

"commercial": Of, relating to, or being goods, often unrefined, produced and distributed in large quantities for use by industry.

4. Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    How is it not about TV commercials? Phrelin even summed it up: "Fox viewers still watch more commercials".

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    C3 are ratings for commercials watched during a program's original
    broadcast and in DVR playback. These ratings are released a few weeks
    after program ratings.

Yes, it means commercials as in TV commercials.

6. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    ok i got it i think....but im still lost why its a surprise....if they had the higher ratings wouldnt they still have the most watched commercials even if a higher % of viewers are FF them ?

if not nevermind....im lost....lol.

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Your right, sort of. The odd thing is that DVR users watched the commercials at a higher rate than the "live" viewers. I don't really understand that number. Why not take advantage of the DVR by skipping commercials? Since the numbers discussed were the 18-49 demo, the only conclusion I can come to is that they indeed are a group whose buying habits could be influenced by commercials.

Just a curiosity at this point.

8. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Evidently, they're using the DVR just for time-shifting, not commercial skipping... ;)

I've noticed that if I'm just watching a recorded show, I tend to skip the commercials, but if I'm sort of watching a recorded show while doing something else (reading the newspaper, surfing the internet, etc.) I skip fewer commercials since I'm not paying as close attention to the recorded show. Of course, that means I'm not paying attention to the commercials either, so it reinforces the point that DVR watchers are less valuable to the networks since they're either fast-forwarding thru the commercials, skipping them, or not paying attention to them!