1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

frame by frame problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jfolliard, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfolliard

jfolliard AllStar

Oct 17, 2006
    I do a lot of game sports analysis (my hobby is officiating college football). At times I will use frame by frame but the blue "progress" bar remains at the bottom blocking out a significant portion of the image - For example, in football catch/no catch plays where a foot needs to be inbounds means that the view of the feet is always at the bottom of the TV screen - thus, obstructed by the bar.

I'm assuming there is no fix so perhaps this should be on the wish list. I realize this is a unique usage but if frame by frame is available it should allow for viewing the whole image.

Second issue - slo mo - my old Tivo model had a separate slo mo button which instantly switched to slo-mo. There was no delay. On the HR20 you have to hold the play button down for several seconds making it very difficult to know ahead of time when to hold the button down so that slo mo starts when you want it too.

Anyone out there have suggestions or have encountered the same frustrations?

Thanks.

Jack

2. Halo

Halo Godfather

Jan 13, 2006
    To get rid of the progress bar press the blue button twice. Once press brings up the mini guide at the bottom, the second press clears it. I think it would be better if the progress bar wasn't there at all, but this is a workaround.

The larger problem with Frame-by-Frame is that there is a BUG with FRAME REVERSE.
    FRAME ADVANCE (pause, fast forward) works correctly. Each push advances 1/30th of a second. This is a great feature for sports replays.

FRAME REVERSE should jump back one frame, but instead it jumps back roughly 60 frames or two seconds. This takes you completely out of the play. From this point you either have to press PLAY to get back near to the previous point or you need to press FRAME ADVANCE 60 TIMES !.

For mpeg4 programs the FRAME REVERSE actually jumps forward a few seconds on the first press.

This is a bug report, not a feature request. This bug makes the whole frame-by-frame trick play feature nearly useless.

3. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Actually, a better way is to press the exit button after you hit pause. That will get rid of the trickplay progress bar. Then you can go frame by frame while seeing the whole screen.

I agree that slo-mo is useless the way it's implemented.

4. jfolliard

jfolliard AllStar

Oct 17, 2006
    thanks! I love this forum! I've been frustrated for a log time and now I know of the simple fix for the frame lower screen bar.

Yes - the frame reverse is bad and of course the slo mo feature is all but unusable - is there a place or way to report these issues to Directv? It seems like it shouldn't be a complicated fix and they roll out new software upgrades frequently.

thanks.

Jack

5. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    This forum is about as direct (or Direct) as you can get, as much of what users report here gets seen by the people who matter, particularly by the CEs.

6. richlife

richlife Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2006
    When reporting your problems, please state what software release you are on. The new 168 that has started trickling out solved all these problems for me.

7. fiveputts

fiveputts AllStar

Feb 13, 2007
    My issue with the progress bar relates to recorded shows and button stick. I prefer to watch recorded golf, 1st FF speed is perfect for the putts. But the progress bar often blocks the hole and when I hit exit, the button sticks and I get exited out of the recording back to live TV. Very frustrating. I've seen a thread on this problem before so I know others have the same issue. STOP should be the only way to exit a recording, not hitting EXIT twice (or previous channel, for that matter).

In fact, button stick has become my number one pet peeve with the HR20 (more accurately, with the remote). And this occurs equally with both D*'s remote and my universal remote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.