1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free - Dish Network for all - at least in Alabama

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tafische, May 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tafische

tafische AllStar

Jan 29, 2004
    Ok - so I knew there was still some pirating going on with Dish...but this blows my mind...

My friend went down to his in-laws this weekend (who live in the sticks)...

Anyway....there is a satallite company where he lives actively selling ****** receivers with all dish channels as legit receivers.

He charged them $1500 "install" fee and then he pays $50 a month direct to the installer.

His father-in-law thinks this is legit and he is doing nothing wrong. This guy has business cards....gave him a channel guide with his name and business printed right on it. He seriously has no idea he is 100% bootleg.

My friend sent me pics of the receiver, dish call center and sat health screens, etc.

I have seen these guys in the shadows before, but never before seen them so out in the open...pretending to be legit.

It just amazes me (and it should not) that they would be out there scamming folks so bad out in the open.

I can just see my friends in laws getting busted by dish - loosing the $1500 install fee...and then having to pay a penality to Dish....all from being scammed by these guys...My friend has not told them he is being scammed yet...I think he is confliced on what to do...

Just amazing.....

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The customers will be the ones that end up paying. Perhaps some day the father-in-law will notice the "FREE" pirate channels and realize that he's been scammed. Perhaps he'll call E* with a question about his service and turn himself in this way. Perhaps the satellite company will give their business card to someone who knows the truth and when they get busted E* will get the customer lists.

The father-in-law needs to know that he's being scammed. This isn't all about E* being ripped off, this is about HIM being ripped off. $1500 install plus $50 per month for service that should have been a free install plus $100 or so per month - with no guarantee that the bootleg receiver will continue to work in the future (not to mention the legal penalty if caught). He got a bad deal.

3. tafische

tafische AllStar

Jan 29, 2004
    Yep. I agree 100%. He got ripped big time.

It is one thing for someone to do it knowing they are bootleging. They know they are taking a risk they may get busted.

It is quite another thing to scam people and pretend to be selling something legit. This is an older guy who is completley non-technical. He has no idea what has happened.

Does dish have any bounty or reward program if you turn someone like this in? Wonder if he could get any free programming for a period of time to help make up for his loss if he were totturn them in.

4. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    probably wouldn't get anything for free, but they might let him switch to a ligit account without any penalty by giving the guy up. If he waits and lets them find out they may just treat him as they will treat the person selling the stuff.

5. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I notified Dish about this just now.

6. agreer

agreer Godfather

Apr 7, 2006
    It is way more than a $100/mo bill

with bootleg cards; they are also getting:
    Forgin channels
    spanish channels
    sports subscribtion
    ppv events

and one other element that is priceless and desirable to lots of us...
    Locals from any ity you can get in your footprint...

7. agreer

agreer Godfather

Apr 7, 2006
    I suspect they would give him a free month of the 99.99 pack, It costs Dish MAYBE $45 in per-sub caryage fees, and he gets to know exactly what the package offers...

Also, what is the insentive to stay eith Dish after going legit without a little free-bee, he could just switch to Directv if he likes their 'legit' options more...

One other thing, if you find people in this situation, go to a "LEGIT" dish retailer nearby and grab a programming broxure, ask them to compair the hardware and programming costs and see if they dont smell a fish.

8. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    The first thing he should do is stop paying the $50 to the thief. Since the thief has no control over the signal he can't turn it off and, of course, he can't take your friend's inlaws to court, small claims or any other kind. Your friend's inlaws should, in fact, take the thief to small claims court (FAST) and get his money back before he is either gone or out of business.

9. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    By the way, MANY Dish people read these forums actively on a daily basis, so they have been notified that this is going on. Hopefully they will be able to track down the dealer through some of the clues here (the sticks of Alabama). I would start in the sticks of Northern Alabama if I were looking for this dealer.

10. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    "sticks of Alabama" where in Alabama isn't the "sticks"? :D :hurah: ;)

11. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Good point. "Downtown" Birmingham? :D

12. tafische

tafische AllStar

Jan 29, 2004
    lol...yeah...there are lots of "sticks"....

I am not sure exactly where he is in Alabama.....just know it is rural...

I told him he needs to tell his Father in Law to call Dish....

We will see....I will be seeing him again in a couple of weeks....I will let you know what happened....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.