1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Dish Promotion Has Ended

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Mike Richardson, Feb 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 1, 2004 #1 of 26
    Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    Free dish promotion has been removed from the DISH Network Site. This leaves just the Free For All and Digital Home Advantage plans on the site.

Commitment: Neither of these plans have a commitment. Dish appears to have gone commitment free for new subs.

Warranties: Both plans have one year warranties on the receivers. First 90 days, all repairs and service free. After 90 days, $14.95 to get repairs by mail, or $99 for a home visit. After a year, good luck. Warranty plan for all receivers is $5.99/mo.

HD: Neither plans seem to offer HD receiver!

2. Feb 2, 2004 #2 of 26
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Free Dish should still be available until June this year, they are just not wanting to promote it as the main promotion, they are wanting to push DHA.

3. Feb 2, 2004 #3 of 26
    jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    Free Dish is still clearly listed in the Club Dish section -- expiring the end of June. They did get rid of the 811 promo for new subs though -- and the 3 free months of movie channels.

- John...

4. Feb 2, 2004 #4 of 26
    Mike Richardson

Jun 12, 2003
    Tried to fix the title but it wont show on the forum page.

5. Feb 2, 2004 #5 of 26
    88fan

88fan Legend

Jan 22, 2004
    The plans still available are Digital Home Advantage(formally home plan), Free for all for customers who have no credit card, and Free Dish, which for some dumb reason you wouldn't want the Home advantage plan, and pay the extra receiver fee.

6. Feb 2, 2004 #6 of 26
    jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Um, I'm confused... I thought that with the DHA/DHP package, you leased your equipment and with the Free Dish package, you own it. That doesn't seem like "some dumb reason" to choose it over the lease package to me...

- John...

7. Feb 3, 2004 #7 of 26
    lesmoss

lesmoss AllStar

Dec 12, 2003
    I got a flyer in the mail today which said the free 811 deal for new subs with a one year commitment was still available thru 2/15. Looks like exactly the same offer I got in December. (May be only my area. We recently got locals here on Dish.)

The flyer says "Call Today's Satellite 800.900.7006" so the offer may be only from this retailer.

8. Feb 3, 2004 #8 of 26
    jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Well, to add more to it, I just called Club Dish again and this time they told me that Club Dish new subscribers COULD still get an 811 -- but that they'd have to wait 4-6 weeks on the waiting list. (The one yesterday told me that the 811 deal was just plain no longer available via Club Dish.)

So, it's the usual game of CSR roulette. :) I really hate having to tell friends that I give a Club Dish card to that they have to do that though ("Ok, um, when you call to sign up, they MIGHT tell you that you can't actually sign up and get an 811 -- if that happens, just tell them to nevermind and call back later and ask again.")... Just doesn't come off well for new people looking to go to Dish... :rolleyes:

- John...

9. Feb 3, 2004 #9 of 26
    88fan

88fan Legend

Jan 22, 2004
    The better reason to lease than buy it...example... for $29.99 a month you could get the top 60 and your locals. Also, with DHA you could get a 322 which has 2 tuners...two room solution.....it you bought the equipment you wouldn't be allowed to get a 322....you would have 2 seperate 311 receivers....costing you $5 more per month...it would cost you $34.99 for the same thing you could have in the DHA.....they have made the service plan optional in the DHA now.....if you want you can still purchase it for an additional $5.99 a month.

10. jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Well, I think most people here seem to think that buying is the way to go. We do have some leasers, but I think the majority would lean towards the buying plans. If I'm incorrect, I'm sure someone will correct me. :)

As for your example, yes, in that specific example, maybe it would be cheaper to go with the DHA plan. But, it is fairly specific. What if I only have one TV? Or, a layout such that running a feed from the back of the 322 to another room for the second TV, as I'd have to do with DHA, is not very feasible. Plus, after a year of service, I'd OWN the two 301/311s -- but you wouldn't own the 322.

Heck, people could do the Club Dish free 811 plan, use it for a year, sell the 811 on EBay -- and end up having Dish Network for FREE for a year. :) So, as far as examples go, I can make some specific ones up too that lean the other way...

- John...

11. 88fan

88fan Legend

Jan 22, 2004
    Hey pal, I'm just explaining the plans...that's what this post was originally about....do whatever the he#@ you want to do, I don't care....do whatever plan best suits you....it's just better for the customers we have been having lately......it seems to me the only reason you don't want to lease is to try sell your receivers when you don't want them anymore.....most normal people probably don't want to get involved with that.....as for your example, what do you do for HDTV after you sell your 811? DUH?

12. jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Um, first of all... Relax.

Second of all, you were not "just explaining the plans". If you were doing that, then you wouldn't have mentioned "for some dumb reason" when talking about anyone that didn't go with the lease plan.

Third, I was also just trying to help -- in some cases, people like to do the lease plan -- and that is fine. I just don't personally recommend it.

As for whether or not people want to sell their stuff -- yes, many people might not want to do that. But, I just personally feel better owning than leasing -- I think it is a better situation to be in. I could lease my couch too if I wanted from a Rental Center. Some people do that. Personally, I prefer to buy my couch -- and would recommend to most of my friends that they buy their couches if they can. Just my opinion -- so try not to freak out about it, ok? Remember, I wasn't the one calling someone else's choices "dumb."

As for my example -- it was just an example. The point was that, at the end of the year, you actually own something of value in case you decided to do something different. You don't have to get all deep into the example -- I was simply using it to illustrate that, like your example, anyone can come up with specific examples to suit their own view.

- John...

13. Mike Richardson

Jun 12, 2003
    DHA has no contract. Looks like you can only sign up once though. If you quit, try cable, then quit cable, you can't go back on the DHA. That's the next hurdle to solve but getting rid of contracts is a big one. Cable has to shut up now with their ads :p

14. 88fan

88fan Legend

Jan 22, 2004
    YOU AIN"T WORTH IT! end of discussion

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Sounds like someone needs a time out. :lol:

BTW: The #1 reason not to lease, no grungy installer wondering around my house trying to figure out how many outside walls he can penetrate to install the system. The #2 reason ... switches and equipment *I* want, not the stuff E*'s installer deems needed. Other HDTV tuners are available ... I got one for $150 on eBay and the prices are dropping fast.

Heck, if I'm going to drop a $k on HDTV I might as well do it right, no leasing.

JL

16. mjrusso45

mjrusso45 Mentor

Jan 31, 2004
    Maybe someone could explain to me what the benefits of buying over leasing are?
    From an outsider's point of view, buying looks expensive. It looks to me like leasing equipment via DHA is "free". They give me the box, and I give it back when/if I quit the plan. IF I buy the equipment, it seems I am investing in hardware that depreciates pretty quickly in these times, and I am responsible for the repair. If a leased piece of euipment fails, am I responsible for it? I really am asking, I don't know.

EDIT: Doh, it looks like at least some of my questions were answered above. Either way though, I think I would have to have it installed by a professional.

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Free Dish also gives you the equipment. Dish just pays you back $10 per month for 15-20 months. If you are looking for more than two rooms or something odd you will have to pay more.

It is a good question. It seems that those who decline the warrantee are putting themselves on the hook for repairs. No definitive answer is given.

That's fine, and included. Personally, I am a professional. I just don't install dishes for a living. I deal with bigger equipment. :)

JL

18. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Lets look at the benefits of each here.

Free Dish - You own the hardware
    DHA - No contract, no charge for each second receiver
    FFA - No contract, you own the hardware, no cc required

All of these have no cost to the consumer up front or over the long-term for the hardware. Once the 322/522 is allowed to be used on the Free Dish and FFA promotion then the FFA promotion will look very good.

The thing that a lot of people may not realize here is that if you want a SuperDish then there is still a one year contract even on DHA or FFA.

19. mjrusso45

mjrusso45 Mentor

Jan 31, 2004
    On the DHA, the no charge 2nd receiver is really only for the 322 (2nd tuner), right? Or can you get two 301's , AT50 + locals for $29.99?

20. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    That is only for the dual tuner receivers. I imagine that the only receivers that are installed are the dual tuner receivers where it could replace the single receivers that would have been installed before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.