1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free movie online

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by schlar01, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Aug 3, 2012 #1 of 22
    schlar01

schlar01 Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    So, I get an email today about a free movie available online. OK, seems reasonable, but the fine print says its $6 then you have to do a stupid mail-in rebate. Come on D*, really? You've got to make people jump through hoops to watch a "free" movie that also says "We're in beta, so we're still ironing out some kinks. Please bear with us."

Seems stupid and typical of D*. Yeah, I'm complaining about a "free" movie, mostly because no one wants to send these stupid MIRs in for a beta that they even acknowledge might not work for that $6 they are counting on you'll never send in the MIR for.

2. Aug 3, 2012 #2 of 22
    FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    I get those all the time for a free movie. It's actually a credit of $4.99 so it ends up being $1 for a HD movie. It's simple. All you do is order the movie and then fill out the back and mail it in. Your account is credited within a week. Not difficult. Really simple and easy. I don't see what the problem is.

3. Aug 3, 2012 #3 of 22
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Many people, including me hate mail in rebates. Now, granted this one isn't as bad. You don't have to circle something ona receipt, photocopy a page of a manual and include a UPC, then wait 8-12 weeks, but still.

4. Aug 3, 2012 #4 of 22
    Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Godfather

Oct 14, 2004
    Northern...
    it does say ... "Allow 8–10 weeks after offer end date for delivery of DIRECTV MOVIE MONEY certificate. DIRECTV MOVIE MONEY certificate must be redeemed by 12/31/12".

5. Aug 3, 2012 #5 of 22
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I will never do this. They have great inventory control. They should use it. Auto credit when you buy the movie. Basically, just charge a buck for the movie for a while.

If they have a watch two movies, get one free, do the bookkeeping themselves. They'd sell more. If redbox can do it, so can directv.

6. Aug 3, 2012 #6 of 22
    schlar01

schlar01 Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    Wow, I didn't even see the 8-10 weeks bit. So it takes 3 months to get your money back? This just seems to be such a terrible experience. I thought I would use it when I got the email and thought it would be nice to get a free movie but I've got zero interest in paying $6 to watch a movie on my computer and get my money back 3 months from now.

7. Aug 3, 2012 #7 of 22
    GeorgeLV

GeorgeLV Godfather

Jan 1, 2006
    Problem is when DirecTV loses the rebate form in the mail and you're out six bucks for the movie and 50 cents for the stamp. It's not worth the hassle when I can just rent a Blu-ray new release from Redbox for $1.50.

8. Aug 3, 2012 #8 of 22
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yep, I got the email too. And just like every other one I got, I deleted it.

There is no reason for not just emailing or giving a PPV coupon online that you use. That is what Dish does and it works quite well.

9. Aug 4, 2012 #9 of 22
    TomK

TomK Godfather

Oct 18, 2010
    I'll never use this coupon thing. Directv can easily see when someone orders a movie and credit them without the customer mailing in a stupid coupon.

10. Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
    +1

This is really a money grab at lazy/forgetful customers.

11. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    Exactly. All companies know the majority of their customers will not mail in rebate coupons.

12. vinhmen

vinhmen Cool Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Don't do it.

Took them up on a rebate PPV offer once. Filled out the rebate form, mailed it in, and waited .. waited .. waited .. for the credit to show up. Of course the charge for the PPV movie showed up immediately. After a couple months had to call in to a CSR, who told me to wait some more. Still no credit a month later.

It ended up taking two or three CSR calls to finally get my credit. Never again.

13. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Yep. But this is a free market nation. If they were to make it TOO easy, everyone would use it, and they are banking on just that not everyone would, and thus maximize their profits out of this deal, hoping people will like it, and order a movie later on.

14. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Not so much a "money grab", but more a "not having to spend money on lazy/forgetful customers". :D

15. loveshockey

loveshockey Godfather

Feb 24, 2008
    Lancaster, NY
    and since i'm on paperless billing, where do i even get a mail-in coupon?

16. Dradran

Dradran AllStar

Apr 21, 2010
    I tried the coupon route once. Watched the movie, filled out the coupon and mailed it in. I never received a credit. I get these "offers" all the time and just trash them.

YMMV

17. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA

+1

I won't do it; the MIR approach is crap!

18. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I think it's a conspiracy to make money for the USPS!

19. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yes, it is a free market nation, or at least mostly so. But this is just an irritant! If the goal is to let someone find out how easy and quick it is to get their movie as a PPV from D*, then give a coupon in your online account and let you use the coupon to order the movie.

That reinforces the idea that it is easy.

Making you jump through hoops to get the free movie is just a lot of roadblocks that make me think, why in hell would I want to put up with that and pay MUCH more for the movie?

My answer is to go to the video store. No more of a hassle than the free movie, and I know how much I will pay. With the screwups that happen all the time with these bogus rebates, that is no certainty that you will ever get it.

20. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
    Rebate ? Really they were offering on the facebook page free movie online. But if Thers a rebate forget that