1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Preview of Local Channels

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by awax, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 2, 2003 #1 of 15
    awax

awax Legend

May 9, 2003
    The Little Rock, AR local channels are supposed to be offered to subs today and I was wondering if E* gives a free preview or something.

2. Jul 2, 2003 #2 of 15
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    DirecTv does but I do not think Dish Network does. It would be a good idea for them to do this to promote the local channels and had been mentioned by others on here before.

3. Jul 2, 2003 #3 of 15
    ats7627

ats7627 Guest

Dish Network is now doing free previews of new local channels for all customers that reside in the DMA

4. Jul 3, 2003 #4 of 15
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    They must have listened to people and seen what DirecTv was doing. They should, however, indicate somehow that it is a free preview because if they dont then customers will think that it was included in the package then dropped later on and get very angry when they find out they have to pay extra for them when they did have them. How long do they give the preview for? A month?

5. Jul 3, 2003 #5 of 15
    ats7627

ats7627 Guest

Dish Network is providing the free preview to select existing customers for a limited time (no time frame given by Echostar). The customers are being notified by direct mail, outbound telemarketing and outbound auto messaging via phone

6. Jul 4, 2003 #6 of 15
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    So they are not giving all customers that are getting the locals a free preview? I wonder what is up with that? They should send a statement in their monthly bill offering everyone a free local free preview in which will be receiving their locals for the first time. I know that some would get very angry if they found out that their neighbor got a free preview and they didnt.

7. Jul 4, 2003 #7 of 15
    ChrisPC

ChrisPC Godfather

Jun 16, 2003
    I guess they're trying to get the word out without having too many people complain when it runs out. My friends and family with E* didn't even know locals were on until I told them or they saw them on my D* system.

8. Jul 4, 2003 #8 of 15
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    If people do not know that their locals are on then there are some real issues then. They better find better ways of advertisting it. I thought they sent out their customers a letter announcing them.

9. Jul 4, 2003 #9 of 15
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Last Aug when DirecTV picked up locals for Buffalo, it was promoted heavly on the radio and sunday circulars. It's died down, but the big retailers are still pushing locals. When Dish added locals in November, the first week a few local retailers ran annoying ads, (the guy dressed up as a cow comes to mind) after that practically nothing. DirecTV must have did something right here, many many Dish500s have been replaced with 2 LNB ellipticals and Phase III dishes over the past year. And Not many houses from what I can tell have the second dish for 61.5 and I imagine most locals subs would want the second dish not just because it's free but because our only PBS and our UPN affilate are on 61.5. And then there could be also the YES situation, I would assume Buffalo D* subs get YES in addition to Empire. But reguardless DirecTV scored big in the Buffalo market.

10. ChrisPC

ChrisPC Godfather

Jun 16, 2003
    E* didn't advertise locals here until about two weeks afterwards and soon stopped. D* started the first day and still has ads running. I'm starting to see a lot of new Phase IIIs around here, with many replacing Dish 500s.

11. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Then I guess Dish has a lot to learn on keeping subscribers and advertising their locals. It does not always pay to be cheap.

12. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    well, both are pretty bad at customer retention...neither company seems to care what happens after they get you signed up...

13. awax

awax Legend

May 9, 2003
    Locals were available for Little Rock at 5 pm on July 2nd, I ordered them from the website at 5:30 and saw an add from dish announcing locals at 5:50p, I have seen one every commercial break since.

14. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    You got that right jrjcd. They are looking at new sub gains vs. retention in which is stupid on behalf of both companies. They do make some attempt at times but not enough of one in some circumstances. I have seen DirecTv offer customers 3 free satellite receivers even though they got struck by lightening when they would not send out a free smart card but want to charge $25 instead on a receiver they have not had active for a while. I have seen Dish deny someone to shut their service off until the customer would give a reason. I have seen Dish more than willing to shut off someone's service without a care in the world while other times they would try to keep the customer.

15. razorbackfan

razorbackfan Godfather

Aug 17, 2002
    Ridgway,...
    In the main Arkansas state newspaper there's been full page ads everyday for 2 weeks announcing Little Rock local channels are on Dish. Kinda hard to miss a full page color ad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.