1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Starz and Showtime for 3 months (how do I cancel this?)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by rmnowick, Jul 14, 2010.

1. rmnowick

rmnowick Mentor

Sep 15, 2006
    All,
    When I started service about a month ago, the "special" deal in effect was to get Starz and Showtime channels free for 3 months. I'm sure there is something that I have to do to cancel this after the first 3 months, but a quick search of the forum here and my DirecTv account page didn't seem to show how to do this. How do I do it?

Thanks,
    Robert

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Just call in and ask them to shut it off at 1800-directv. It will automatically keep going if you don't. :)

3. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    ...call them and cancel it.

4. dolt

dolt New Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Might not be necessary to cancel. I got free HBO and Showtime for 3 months when I first signed up. I never canceled and it simply went away. Another time, a CSR gave me free Showtime for 3 months. That also went away.

Yet another time, I called to cancel a service that I just was billed for (sports pack) and they gave me a prorated refund (it was a credit on my next bill). Worst case scenario just monitor your bill online and cancel it later.

5. psuscott0483

psuscott0483 Godfather

Apr 16, 2009
    Douglassvill...
    on the website theres subtabs under the my programming tab, you might be able to deactivate it there under my premium channels

6. PA GIANTS FAN

PA GIANTS FAN AllStar

Mar 28, 2009
    Frackville PA
    If you do nothing - showtime will fall off and stars will stay on the acct. till you cancel it.

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You can't cancel channels/packages via DirecTV.com. They want you to call.

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Mentor

Jun 4, 2010
    I got the three month promo in January when I moved to my new place and upgraded to HD. I got confused about the billing for this, because I thought it went active when they set up my dish at the new place, but DirecTV started the three months the day that I called to schedule the move, which was the week before.

Because of my confusion, I ended up canceling the three month Starz/Showtime package a week late, and got charged for a month of both premiums. Luckily, I was able to talk to a nice CSR who was willing to get rid of the charges for me.

The free promo did work to DirecTV's advantage with me though, because it got me hooked on Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Now I have to re-subscribe to Starz this next winter to get my gladiator fix! :D

9. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    !rolling

10. hatchet

hatchet Legend

May 28, 2006
    Netflix has the first season's 13 episodes available and I have them loaded into my Instant Watch queue (haven't watched them yet). Maybe the second season will be available the same way?

11. jcc

jcc Mentor

Mar 29, 2010
    Well, both Showtime and Starz stayed on the account after the 3 free months. Finally cancelled them today after being charged after the 3 free months had long expired.

12. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    If you see both a charge and a credit for the Starz and Showtime, you will have to call Directv after the 3 months to remove them. Otherwise the charge continues, the credit does not.

If you do not see a charged for either one of those movie packages, they will stop after 3 months.:)

13. PA GIANTS FAN

PA GIANTS FAN AllStar

Mar 28, 2009
    Frackville PA
    I was told by csr showtime will drop off and stars would stay on acct. after 3 months. I never ordered the deal good thing for that. Sorry about your mess :nono2:

14. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    Very good info. Thanks

15. Argee

Argee Legend

Oct 16, 2006
    Its easy to add these w/o calling but you have to call to cancel. IRC AOL got in trouble years ago when opting in to the service was real easy but you had to jump thru hoops to even find information on how to cancel it.