1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

!! Free Starz/Encore Weekend- 11/22-11/26 !!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by RVRambler, Nov 16, 2012.

1. RVRambler

RVRambler Legend

Dec 5, 2004
    Reminder: Free Preview!

Fire up Those DVRs & external HDDs!! :)

PS: Always good news for us poor$ & DVR enabled!

2. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    Thanks for posting. That's the first I had heard of this :)

3. Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy Legend

Sep 27, 2007
  4. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Doubt it will be on dish.

5. Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo Legend

Mar 14, 2012
    Yes, Dish will have free previews of Encore Movie Pack (reg. $5/mo) [channels 341-347 and 377] and Starz (reg. $13/mo) [channels 340 and 350-356). Please see page 7: http://www.dishentertainmentmag.com/allaccess/vip/pdfs/november/FeatureArticles.pdf
    Dish states November 21-25 in the magazine. Dish sometimes turns the free preview earlier and sometimes ends it later as well.

6. Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy Legend

Sep 27, 2007
    Good catch there, Mojo. :)

I wish Encore had more channels in HD besides Encore East.

7. Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo Legend

Mar 14, 2012
    I wish Dish would add Encore Action HD and Encore Drama HD. I believe the rest are only offered in SD.

8. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    I submitted a request for Encore Action and Drama in HD to our programming department for you. Thanks.

9. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
  10. Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy Legend

Sep 27, 2007
    I wouldn't even know about it if it wasn't for this message board site.

And they're up already. :)

11. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    Interesting---they're all up for me...but if I scroll out even a couple hours to set timers for those channels, they change color in the guide and tell me I'm not subscribed

12. mike1977

mike1977 Legend

Aug 26, 2005
    I read on the Starz forum they might have come to their senses and have stopped degrading the premium experience. I've got a couple movies set to record. Hopefully there won't be any promo banners at the bottom of the screen nor end movie credit interference so the music can be experienced.

13. Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy Legend

Sep 27, 2007
    Yeah I noticed that usually happens when the free previews are first turned on.

What I do is turn off both timers on my 722K for 15 minutes and then when you turn one of them back on the T.V. Guide should be updated properly.

14. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    Normally I can get it to correct by doing a reset...but this morning it didn't help. Later in the day it did though

15. DEC

DEC Legend

Jan 6, 2008
    I agree. In fact, I wouldn't have even had a clue until I just happened to be scrolling through the channel guide in the same area and saw the newly available channels. Even though I religiously check the free preview channel 103, it wasn't on there, and it wasn't even on the Dish perks site. So, if it wasn't for this board and the subsequent Dish Entertainment Magazine PDF file notice, I could have easily gone right by this without any knowledge of it.

Hey Dish ... why make this free preview so difficult & essentially hidden?? :nono2:

16. DEC

DEC Legend

Jan 6, 2008
    RVRambler,

Just curious, but your thread title indicates that the Starz/Encore free preview goes from Thursday 11/22 through Monday 11/26. However, in the Dish Entertainment Magazine PDF file notice that Mojo Jojo provided, it states that the free preview goes from Wednesday 11/21 through Sunday 11/25. Do you have a more reliable source of information that confirms that the Starz/Encore free preview actually does go through Monday 11/26?

I ask, as I don't like to set up recordings that go beyond the actual end of any free preview period as my 922 DVR typically goes into a hissy fit when it tries to record program material off of a channel that is no longer available.

Thanks,
    Don

17. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    So do I. All of Encore channels are in HD now.

18. DEC

DEC Legend

Jan 6, 2008
    So, is this just a case of what Dish currently offers? I had hoped that with the Starz/Encore free preview that more of the Encore channels would be in HD, but they are still the same SD versions with ENCOR 340 being the only one in HD (which I already get).

19. Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy Legend

Sep 27, 2007
    It's through Sunday, not Monday.

The way to check for sure is to go to the SD versions of these channels on your T.V. Guide. It turns green on Monday so it's set up where Sunday is the last day of the free preview.

20. DEC

DEC Legend

Jan 6, 2008
    Thanks for the tip ... I wouldn't have thought to do that.