1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Whole Home DVR upgrade?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rahlquist, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1 of 17
    rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    I have been seeing TV spots for Free Whole Home DVR upgrade. Whats entailed in this?

I see in the fine print on the screen this;
    "Limit 1 remote viewing at a time. Requires 1 HD DVR & HD receiver for each additional TV. Additional fees apply."

So for instance I have a HR20 and HR21 and R-16 on a SWIM with the 8 way splitter (not the big SWIM splitter). What would they change out?

Thanks!

2. Nov 7, 2011 #2 of 17
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    They wouldn't need to change anything. You need to read the screen at the bottom where it says New approved customers only. However in your situation you could just order 2 DECA and a BS Filter from here, or ebay, or solid signal and then activate the service. It would be cheaper that way for you.

3. Nov 7, 2011 #3 of 17
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    $3/month for the service.

And if your HR20 is the -100 model, you need to check back here for the special way to hook that unit up.

4. Nov 7, 2011 #4 of 17
    rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    Thanks, didn't catch the second set of boilerplate till after you said this. I hate that they are so deceptive about this stuff. Upgrade infers existing service. Would much rather they flat out say loud and clear in the commercial "New customers qualify for free whole home DVR service." but I guess I should be used to it.

Thanks!

5. Nov 7, 2011 #5 of 17
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I always recommend you call and ask DirecTV. They may send you the equipment free. Depending on your account, payment history, etc, they may even upgrade that R16 to an actual HD DVR and install all the required equipment. You won't know unless you call.

6. Nov 7, 2011 #6 of 17
    ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Nothing deceptive, just your misinterpretation of the ad and your definition of the word "upgrade".

7. Nov 7, 2011 #7 of 17
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I also thought the spots said "upgrade to DirecTV" to get it free; to me that is pretty clear.

8. Nov 7, 2011 #8 of 17
    dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009

Riiiight!

Boilerplate...I love that phrase, it describes what D* does in its advertising to a fricken T.

They tend to be very deceptive. You always need to read any agreement very carefully, that is if they actually send you one.

9. Nov 8, 2011 #9 of 17
    jwakers

jwakers Cool Member

May 16, 2008
    I am getting it installed this morning. I got the equipment free, but paid $49 for the install. Considering it used to be $250, I think I got a pretty good deal.

10. rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    Maybe the legal dept needs to get in touch with the software department so they can co-ordinate where to put the legaleze.... On my DVR the legaleze got covered by the position indicator when paused ;)

Seriously they should say new customers only in the same size type.

[​IMG]

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    When has anyone's marketing every been honest and upfront about anything? While I wish it was in big bold letters, under our current lack of truth in advertising legal system, it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Look at any car ad on tv....the fine print at the bottom of the screen has so many disclaimers and hoops to jump through to get the deal they are showing in the big large print, its a wonder anyone ever qualifies for anything.

12. EKrimmer

EKrimmer AllStar

Mar 21, 2008
    Yep - just call and ask. I saw the whole home ads and literally called and asked what a "long time loyal customer like me could weasel out of you"

Turned out I qualified for 2nd HDDVR. Plus I could move my HD receiver in place of an SD. Plus free install. Plus once the tech got there he made some calls and got a SWMM ok'd. Plus he dropped in a DECA setup and I got MRV authorized the next day.

I am 100% satisfied with DTV products and service over the 10 years we've been with them. Just my $.02

13. mark40511

mark40511 Legend

Jul 18, 2008
    Lexington KY
    I called to ask about the whole home upgrade. The CS offered to install for free. Two contractors showed up and one was training the other one- both were very professional. He was explaining to the person he was training in great detail what to do.

It took them maybe 45 min's total.

I got an extra HD receiver for the spare bedroom (was $99 but they gave me 25 off of that in addition to the free install)

It works GREAT! I love it!

And on a side note:

In the almost three years (I think?) that I've had Directv and of those three years having (2) hr 21 receivers.......The living room HR 21 always had a signal 10 to 15 points lower on tuner two on some satellites than tuner one. The bedroom hr 21 didn't have this problem.

Whatever they did when they installed this fixed that problem. I mentioned it and he said the signal was strong that it must have been the splitter they replaced.

14. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009

Does that make it right? No.

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You're going to have a lot of work to correct the rest of the world.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Lets see -- The OP has questions about the MRV upgrade ad. He's told to 'call and find out' what DirecTV can do. The OP hasn't posted back his/her experience yet, but three others posted they called, got free or heavily discounted equipment/installations and are very happy DirecTV customers.

17. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You're right. A lot of people are quite satisfied with the service they get. I guess a few aren't.