1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Free WiFi For All?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by SayWhat?, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Feb 4, 2013 #1 of 19
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Idea seems to be getting some buzz from the FCC and others, while the cell carriers are opposing it.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/04/fcc-wants-free-wifi-for-all/

Should WiFi be a public utility or a basic human right as mentioned in the article?

2. Feb 4, 2013 #2 of 19
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Phone service was never free for all...

Don't see this ever changing, for WiFi.

Public "free wifi" is already horrid in most cases.
    Most hotels speeds are absolute garbage, can't support even email.

3. Feb 4, 2013 #3 of 19
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Basically no. It needs to remain a private and profitable way to commmunicate. If the FCC requires carriers to provide free wifi, it will need to be paid for which means the government will need to pay the bill which means government owned (and probably monitored) wifi. Bad idea.

4. Feb 4, 2013 #4 of 19
    the_batman

the_batman AllStar

Sep 20, 2007
    Public WiFi will cost someone. The government doesn't have money and big Telco's aren't charity groups.

"Basic human right." That's funny. I'm tired of paying my way and others so they can have "basic human rights."

5. Feb 4, 2013 #5 of 19
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Our cities made the step ... we have free WiFi 1 Mbps ... just drive on 101 and watch the list; for sure it's not "free" as sun or rain, we eventually pay for it thru our taxes.

6. Feb 4, 2013 #6 of 19
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Wifi as a basic human right? Puh-leez. That's ludicrous.

7. Feb 4, 2013 #7 of 19
    boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    how would that work for people who live in the country who right now are still on dail up cause high speed isn't available

8. Feb 4, 2013 #8 of 19
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    But television has, and with more and more TV content going to the web, who knows?
    The FCC has been on a major push for the last several years to get affordable broadband to as much rural area as possible.

Expansion could be part of their plan for unused/reserved spectrum.

9. Feb 4, 2013 #9 of 19
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    One of my big concerns is monitoring of traffic and the ability to place restrictions based on the DCMA or other acts. The RIAA has way too much influence, not to mention the MPAA and the broadcasters.

10. blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone Godfather

Nov 29, 2007
    I would think that water would rank higher than wi-fi as a human right

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Yes, a basic human right, like welfare, food stamps, "free" gov't cellphones, SSA disability for "mood' disorders, tummy aches and back spasms -- all paid for by us, the taxpayers. Let's raise taxes again, not to reduce our humongus national debt, but to create and support more and more entitlements and new transfer-payments, rob-the-rich-and-give-to-the-poor, unworkable confiscation schemes.

If I'm going to be robbed blind, I'd rather it be at the point of a gun. I guess that's coming. This country is on the edge of disaster while con-gress fiddles.

Human right? No, just more stupid, fuzzy-minded, here-we-go-again, liberal-minded stinking thinking. :rolleyes:

That's the way I see it.

YMMV

12. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    I pay a lot for wireless data now, and surely don't want to pay more.
    It feels like the wireless companies are raping the public now with high costs and data caps.
    I'd be interested in a few trials in a cross section of regions (city/rural) to get a cost benefit analysis of "free" or publicly provided wireless data. Could it work in practice, or would it just result in poor service and stifled innovation and higher costs.

13. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    plus that article mentioned 1 down and in todays age you really can't do anything with that. I have 1.5 down and i had to stream the summer games on 240p so it wouldn't continuously buffer and I have to stream on lowest quality on a couple of tech shows i watch on twit.tv or it will always be buffering

14. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    with all the buisnesses that have free wifi here, any major road has 90+% coverage already.. kinda interesting to drive around with wifi scanner open on netbook..

15. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    Funny the wireless carriers think if they get more spectrum that everything will be better. That's a laugh. They will just charge more and give you less.

16. Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave Legend

Oct 13, 2006
    Looks like a Washington Post reporter screwed up and started this whole story which isn't true. The Post being somewhat of a reputable news source caused the story to be spread rampantly.

17. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Link, reference or source?

18. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Hmmmm.

FDR suggested that all peoples are entitled to:
    1. Freedom of speech
    2. Freedom of worship
    3. Freedom from want
    4. Freedom from fear
    I realize in this country some idiots might see #3 as the universal right to access a Twitter account for free, but it was supposed to be about a universal minimum entitlement to food, clothing and housing at a subsistence level. We can't even accomplish that for all children in the richest country on Earth.

But somehow getting to your Facebook page for free is discussed as a right????