1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

freedbs.org ?

Discussion in 'FTA / Non Small Dish Satellite Area' started by brant, May 12, 2010.

1. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    I found this website via FTA Michael's blog. Instead of PM'ing you Michael, I thought I'd ask in the open so everyone could see.

Could you tell us more about this site if you know such? When will it be available, what satellite will it be on, etc. . .?

I was just curious if you had an inside scoop.

2. sadoun

sadoun AllStar

May 28, 2002
    I hope they will launch there channels soon. :)

Source: http://freedbs.org/

3. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2002
    That 20 million comes from The Carmel Group study, IIRC, that Dish Network has used in pirate receiver lawsuits.

Sadoun must have better connections than I do, since he's listed at the top of FreeDBS's list of supporters, while FTAList and FTABlog aren't listed. At all. (sniff)

So I don't know, but I can try to reason it out. They've said that their satellite "will be between 80 and 100 degrees W". They're probably going to need at least two Ku-band transponders. But where? Will they have the cash to squeeze in at Galaxy 19? Or will they find a bird with cheaper rent?

My best case: FreeDBS lands on AMC 9. Dishes pointed there would pick up all the FreeDBS channels plus two RTV feeds and lots of feeds. But I wonder if SES New Skies is saving more room for HughesNet.

Crazy idea: FreeDBS lands on AMC 16. EchoStar gets to prove that it doesn't hate true FTA, and that it's happy to sell satellite capacity to anyone. That's what they always say (the second part anyway) at their booth at trade shows.

4. Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    Isn't there already a discussion about FreeDBS that already I mentioned?

5. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    link??

6. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    there have been a few updates since starting this thread;

nice to see some activity going on. hopefully it won't be much longer before they launch.

7. Art7220

Art7220 Godfather

Feb 4, 2004
    If it doesn't have any Canadian channels, I may not be interested. Any news on FreeHDCanada?

8. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Never heard of it until now.

I looked @ their website http://www.freehdcanada.ca/

It says the free channels are "local to (your) region"; assuming that's OTA channels plus any type of public broadcasting channel.

Everything else requires a subscription. that's not very free. ;) available 2011.

9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    HD is free, the channels arent ;)

10. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2002
    It's a fun idea, and it's especially valuable in Canada, where light population density might put some areas out of reach of over-the-air TV after the digital changeover there.

Buy the equipment and get all Canadian locals from your region for free. Want out-of-area locals or other pay-TV channels? Just call with a credit card and get them switched on. Ditto for PPV movies and other revenue enhancers.

I had held out a slim hope that all of the locals were going to be in the clear, but this language about only getting locals "within their region" suggests that everything will be scrambled. Oh well.

11. SatExpert

SatExpert New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    FreeHDCanada was thought by many to be merely a ploy backed by the family owners of bankrupt Global (Canwest)

Canwest was formally taken over by Shaw yesterday and renamed Shaw Media. As part of the approval process, Shaw will change over all Global transmitters - even remote ones - to digital. Those who now receive the OTA analog signal and who won't be able to receive the digital OTA signal will be get free Shaw Direct receivers and no charge local service.