1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

french open no HD?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by magellanmtb, Jun 9, 2007.

1. magellanmtb

magellanmtb Legend

Nov 19, 2006
    I was surfing the channels this moring, OTA, how could NBC not broadcast the women's French open finals in HD? Are they going to the same for the men's final? Seems as if they are missing the HD boat with this combined with their lackluster, subpar, semi hd golf coverage.

2. Mocco71

Mocco71 Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    Yep, no HD for men's either, unfortunate. Even ESPN can do women's softball in HD. Maybe we will get lucky with Wimbelton.

Go Federer!!!

3. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    It's not NBC's feed. Its French television and NBC just picks it up and adds in their own commentators. Europe is behind the US in HDTV.

4. D*HR-20

D*HR-20 Legend

Jan 7, 2007
    Then how could ESPN do it in at least widescreen when ESPN gets their feed from the same place? NBC is just lazy, like they always are. There is a reason why NBC had their lowest ratings ever in the history of the network a few weeks ago.

5. Mocco71

Mocco71 Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    Agreed... not sure how ESPN did it, I am not real tech savvy, but the picture was great.

6. PlanetBill

PlanetBill Icon

May 8, 2006
    ESPN's coverage looked pretty good compared to NBC. First time I've seen tennis in widescreen.

7. ibglowin

Sep 10, 2002
    The French open was NOT broadcast in HD.

ESPN2 did a stretch and upconvert (ala TNTHD) to their broadcast.

Link here: http://www.hdsportsguide.com/news.php

8. D*HR-20

D*HR-20 Legend

Jan 7, 2007
    No, if you read the link you gave it is WIDESCREEN SD which means all they had to do is upconvert which just makes it look better. No stretching was done.

9. ibglowin

Sep 10, 2002