1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frequent "Acquiring satellite" events at night

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by RTCDude, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 3, 2005 #1 of 12
    RTCDude

RTCDude AllStar

Feb 3, 2005
    Hello DBSTalk. Figured I've been a lurker long enough.

I just wondered if anyone else has seen this issue. Quite frequently (maybe two to
    three times a week), both my 501 and 510 will go through a fit of "Acquiring satellite"
    events. Almost always between 12:00 and 1:00 am PST, and will last for about 10 to
    15 minutes. At that time of night the receivers are usually on Science Channel, A&E,
    or History Channel. However, I can't say that it doesn't happen on other channels.
    Weather or any other factor doesn't seem to matter, just time of day. The only
    speculation I could come up with is Dish moving channels around on satellites/TPs.

Any thoughts or experiences?

2. Feb 3, 2005 #2 of 12
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Hello RTCDude and welcome! :hi:

I can't really help you out much with this one, as I'm asleep by then usually. But, the few times that I am up and watching television, I haven't seen that.

3. Feb 3, 2005 #3 of 12
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Sounds like the Guide may be updating at those times.

Channel moves are typically at 6:15-6:25 AM EST for the PPV Sports Paks and in the afternoon/evening EST for channel updates. However it could be that the receivers haven't recognized the changes until this time of night and are doing the update then.

BTW: My 6000 will reboot within a couple of minutes and the 721 will flash acquiring signal for about 1 second. when one of these updates is sent down the stream.

4. Feb 4, 2005 #4 of 12
    RTCDude

RTCDude AllStar

Feb 3, 2005
    The Guide only updates when the receiver is in standby mode (unless you get the
    "Update Guide Now?" dialog). Since the receivers aren't in standby (i.e., I'm watching
    them), the "Acquiring satellite" events couldn't be a Guide update.
    I guess the mystery remains.

BTW: it would be nice if the Guide DID update slowly in the background.
    That would solve a lot of "Info Unavailable" problems.

5. Feb 4, 2005 #5 of 12
    elbyj

elbyj Godfather

Jan 9, 2003
    How long has your Dish been installed? Reason I ask is I also suffered from the same problem with my 501 for over a year on a periodic basis. After doing the same, as you, I heard every thing from a bird flying by to atmospheric conditions. Since my installation was over three years old, I took one recommendation to swap out the SW21s on the roof, which worked for about two days and the problems returned. Anyway, totally replaced all the coax from the SW21 to the receiver. Problem has not returned.

6. Feb 4, 2005 #6 of 12
    Tim Taylor

Tim Taylor New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    I have a 721 and notice the "Acquiring Satellite" from time to time. If I reboot the 721 once a week, this problem seems to disappear.

7. Feb 4, 2005 #7 of 12
    Evil Capserian

Evil Capserian Godfather

Jul 27, 2003
    I think dish at those times sends signals to undercover agents causing the acuqiring signal screen to appear because the bandwidth is used for other reasons. I will probably be killed for saying this. Oh well, the truth must be known. :D

8. Feb 7, 2005 #8 of 12
    RTCDude

RTCDude AllStar

Feb 3, 2005
    Four years or so. Started out with two 5000s, a SW64, and legecy LNBs for two
    dishes. Now I have a 501 and 510, a DP34, and replaced the cable and LNBs to
    Dish Pro a year ago. The dishes are on a rock solid chimney mount that hasn't
    moved a millimeter in those four years.

One thing I forgot to mention, this predictable event issue has only been happening
    the last eight months ore so.

9. Feb 9, 2005 #9 of 12
    dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer Legend

Sep 11, 2004
    Check each and every fitting from the back of the receiver all the way to the lnbf's. it sounds like a grounding issue, or rather yet, shorting out. make shure there is none of the braided shielding inside touching the center copper piece in the center, I see this all too often, people losing signal like you stated all the time, and 99% of the time when I go out there, that is what the problem is.

hope that helps.

10. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    RTCDude: How do you have a SW44 with DishPro gear? Correction in order?

11. RTCDude

RTCDude AllStar

Feb 3, 2005
    Duooo.... I meant a DP34. Correction made. Thanks for the catch.

12. RTCDude

RTCDude AllStar

Feb 3, 2005
    All connections are clean and tight. However, I did find that the ground wire connection
    on my DP34 switch (the little screw) was loose and slightly corroded. I tighten it up,
    but it's too soon tell if that will make any difference. Would not having the system
    grounded cause these kinds of problems?

P.S. My ground wire is connected to the same metal stake that my power meter is
    grounded to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.