1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Load Washer recommendations

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Herdfan, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Ok, we are on our second brand of front load washer. We had the original Maytag when it came out 10+ years ago. It didn't take long before our clothes would smell. A class action suit happened and we got a new Maytag Top Load washer. Didn't want it so I gave it to my parents and we got a top-of-the-line LG. We have had it about 6 years now and it makes our clothes smell (it is sort of a sour smell that you might not notice immediately, but start to after wearing them a couple of hours).

We have used the Afresh and Tide washer sanitizers as well as running Cascade dishwasher detergent through. It used to need this every couple of weeks, now it is needed just about before every time.

So we are going to get a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am looking at the Samsung, but don't really want to end up in the same place I am now. We are stuck with a front loader because when we got the LG, we redid the laundry room and there is now a nice folding counter that the machines go under.

2. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Before you give up on your LG, make sure the filter on the left front at bottom is clean. Also, make sure you clean the door gasket completely and thoroughly after use. Finally, leave the door open after running the machine. These are recommendations you'll find almost everywhere, including the instruction manual. And, oh, yes == don't leave freshly washed clothes in the washer.

3. fmcomputer

fmcomputer Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    Youngstown....
    We also have an LG front loader - I have found that if you fill the soap dispenser with liquid bleach ounce a month and run the clean cycle it will keep it fresh . Also follow Cholly suggestion's. I also have seen a product by Tide that is suppose to clean system, but I have not seen it our area. I think that all front loaders have this problem..

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I've used the Tide product on occasion, but have never noticed an issue. I always leave the door open on my LG.

5. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Remember - leave the door and the soap dispenser open.

I have a Whirlpool that I bought last year and really like it. Zero odors, but we run the Affresh cycle on the 1st of every month

6. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    We have the original Whirlpool Duet and it has been excellent.

7. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Your problem is mold and mildew.
    Same set here, over four years now - no probs, no mildew, no mold. Always leave the washer door open (I leave mine open wide at first), drain and dry any residual liquid from the dispenser. Also, adequate ventilation in your laundry area is always a good idea.

Fresh air is your friend.

8. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Whirlpool Duet 94HEX, in 2012, always leave the door open, been great. Got 10-year warranty as well.

9. Mar 1, 2013 #9 of 25
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Heck we still have the original Maytag Neptune pair we bought in August 1998. They had a problem with smell that required once a month treatment rinse with Clorox. Once the detergents designed for low water volume use became generally available, the problem seemed to go away though we still do it about two or three times a year.

The Maytag repairman (you remember him) did have to come out in 2011 (after 13 years) to replace an electronic control board. Other than that, no problems. I don't know what we'd buy today.

10. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    We're very pleased with the LG set we bought about 4 years ago. No problems and the only thing we do is wipe the front gasket and leave the door cracked.

I'm amazed at how little water they use, how quiet, and the clothes have much less wear and come out nearly dry. Much less use in drying time.

However, the newly designed top loaders are now very compatible in efficiency. No 'agitator' and use less water than a standard top-loader. Check them out.

11. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I have cleaned that filter. Don't think we have cleaned the door gasket, so we will have to try that.

As for leaving the door open, that is where we have a problem. The washer and dryer are in a pass-through laundry/mud room. If we leave the door open, then it is hard to get through. Wife will leave it open over night if she remembers.

We have run bleach only cycles through it, but not sure if we used the soap dispenser. Will have to try that.

Home Depot carries the Tide product. We think it works better than the Afresh.

Thanks for the input.

12. txtommy

txtommy Icon

Dec 30, 2006
    Have had both the Duet and now the LG. No odor problem with either and we never leave the door open. An open door, even just cracked, invites our two cats to climb inside. I was told the key is to use only quality HE soap which is not supposed to leave any residue or odor behind.

13. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I had my Kenmore repaired last year due to a failed water extraction pump. The repair dude told me the lines along the water drain get clogged with all kinds of junk. It can even cause a backup into the washer drum. He opened the unit and we took out the drain 'filter'. It reeked like sewage. Inside were booby pins, an earring, etc. I cleaned it and re-installed. He suggested cleaning once a year.

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Last year I bought a Samsung. I inadvertently end up buying a lot of Samsung products, including phones (although not currently), TVs, media players, computers, printers... so the sales rep recommended a Samsung and I was cool with it.

The good: QUIET. Really quiet. Fast, too. The quick wash and sensor dry gets a complete load done in under an hour total.

The bad: It took me a month of badgering them to get them to fix a defect with the washer. Initially loads were taking over 1 hour just to wash and were still wet at the end. They insisted I was doing it wrong, and even when they agreed to send a tech it took 10 days for the parts to come from Korea.

Now that it's all fixed though, I would strongly recommend the washer. I do air it out after every load and I live in a dry climate. The dryer is also awesome, although it did ship with a loose screw that needed tightening (it was making an odd sound before it was tightened.)

15. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    When we moved in 2006 we got a Samsung front loading washer and dryer. Dryer is OK but washer was a POS, lucky we had a warrenty we got from Lowes, they finally just bought it back and we picked up a Whirlpool, not a single problem with it.

16. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    My GF swears by Whirlpool, and we're having a pair of front loaders installed on Saturday (the old ones stay with her old house). Consumer reports gives it good marks, as they do Samsung and some others. If it was just me, I'd probably go with Samsung, esp. the one with the mp3 player and espresso maker; also RVU capable but the screen tends to show a whirling pattern....

I checked the lint vent, which disappears into a wall, and exits onto the roof. There's a mass of lint hanging off the roof vent, so we're getting a lint cleaner company to come out; the whole pipe seems to be filled.

17. MvP

MvP New Member

Jan 22, 2007
  18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    An umpire at a ball game asked me about the same thing a few years ago. He had a top loader. I asked him if he left the top open after use. Nope. Asked him about leaving the wet clothes in the washer overnight. Nope. Leave them in the dryer wet overnight? Nope.

After the game I asked him to sit in my car with me for a few minutes. He reeked of mildew. Ever notice how many people can't admit they're wrong? Or the problem they're having is caused by them?

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You really need a short run to the outside for a vent to work properly. Dust will gather at every bend or turn. Remember, that's not dry dust and easily adheres to surfaces. Any way to punch a 4" hole in the wall above the dryer? I've done that for several people who had vents that were always clogged. You can rent a 4" clearance hole saw at any Home Depot and if the wall above the dryer is cement or cinder block a hammer drill with the 4" hole saw will give you an almost perfect hole for the vent.

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've stayed away from the front loading washers because of the gaskets. Having spent much of my life in a chemical factory, I know what a PITA gaskets can be if not cleaned properly. You might want to go to the manufacturers site and ask them what to use to clean the gasket. Might be just water, but I'd still check.

Rich