1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*FROWN* DTV said they can't install!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by danmen00, Nov 14, 2009.

1. danmen00

danmen00 New Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Moved to great new house, prior owners already had Round SD Dish with old Tivo. I brough my two HR20-s and had the installer come for a movers setup.
    Was told two pines in my behind the house neighbors house were blocking the HD satellite. I could keep SD or go elsewhere. He called Supervisor who verified lack of signal anywhere... The same neighbors have an HD dish on their house (better angle) - is there ANY way they can run lines (with neighbor's permission) off their dish?

2. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    If the neighbors agree, sure.

3. danmen00

danmen00 New Member

Nov 14, 2009
    for real? - what if they let me encroach in their lot for a 2nd dish? Would that be ok as well?

4. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    SD comes from 101 and HD from 99/103, so for HD you only need 2 degrees to both of what your currently pointed at. Unless you are litterly threading the needle, it should work.

I'd get them to send someone else out or getting a local retailer/home theater installer out to get you setup. Failing that, you could always do it yourself.

5. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk! (And howdy, fellow Birminghamian!)

Yes, you can do that, but there are limitations on how far you can run the cabling (150 feet).

6. danmen00

danmen00 New Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Thanks, who else can I call locally to get this done. I have spend literally 17 hours over the last 3 days with Uverse techs trying to get that up and running and they clearly have no clue. I am a little heratbroken that I may have to break up with Direct after 10 years... Any help would be appreciated - and I dont think mooching of the neighbor's dish or yard is actually a viable option here do to length. There are pine trees that the SD dish is pointing between and getting perfect signal. So I guess they are threading the needle. But I have a decent sized lot and I'm not sure the first guy or his supv took every option under consideration before telling me they could not get it done. How can I get another installer company out?

7. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    You'll have to call someone on your own. I don't have any suggestions for a private installer - I always do all my work "DIY". You might want to try looking at dishpointer.com to see where on your lot you might have better LOS.

8. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Pull out the Yellow Pages and look under "Satellite Installation". Call around to a few places and see if you can get a couple second opinions. They may also be able to do a poll mount somewhere in your yard if putting it on the house is really out of the question.

Also, if you'd like... Try to post a few pictures for us here... Of where the current dish is mounted, and where it is currently pointing.

Good luck and keep us posted!

9. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    For sure get a second opinion. Installers are exactly like any other contractor and what they want to do at any particular time depends on their mood, (not that they are over paid). The first guy that came to my house to install HD dish obviously did not want to get on my steep roof. Second installer had no problem and got a nice tip.

10. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Chainsaw!

11. SignalPoint

SignalPoint New Member

Dec 27, 2004
    I do not suggest connecting satellite feeds from one dish to two separate homes. There is a real chance that you could have a grounding issue by doing so. The two homes should have at least one ground rod, newer homes have two of them spaced apart but bonded together. If you loop the ground through the coax cable from one electrical system to the other, you could have a couple of issues by doing so. One being, two ground rods spaced apart and not bonded can possibly create voltage through the ground. The other issue is, if there is a grounding issue in ether home and you create a ground loop by connecting the electrical systems between the two homes through the coax cable, you could run the risk of a electrical fire. Electricity will take the path of least resistance and this could end up being through your coax cable causing the cable to heat up and melt down or even spark and ignite a fire in a wall cavity. If you deside to go this route, it is a real good idea to have a certified electrician come out and inspect both homes electrical systems and if there are no ground issues, you could pay him to bond the grounding system of both homes together before moving forward with the installation of the satellite system. Also, you may want to check with your local code enforcement and insurance company before going forward with this type of electrical system modification. It is better to be safe than sorry. Its a risk I would not be willing myself to take but that is for you to decide. Just keep in mind, if ether home makes any modifications to their electrical system after going forward with bonding the two systems together, you could still run the risk of having a potential problem if the electrical work was not done correctly. It is never a sure thing.

12. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    If 99 and 103 are truly blocked by the pines I would worry that 101 will also become blocked in the near future as the trees grow.

Get another opinion.

13. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    OUCH, that must be PAINFUL!

14. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    I was thinking the same thing, even more painful if they have to be removed. ;)

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Installers told me I had no LOS as well. I just asked if he could leave the dish and let me sign his ticket. Guess he was happy he could get paid for doing nothing and left me the dish and some coax. I had the dish installed and working fine in 30 minutes. This time of year, you can use the approximate location of the sun at a peticular time of day, to see exactly where the sats are. Find out what time the sun will be at 99 degrees and at 103 degrees. Check at those times, and if the sun is shining on your round 101 dish, you are good to go. Search for "solar outage calculator" on Google.

16. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
  17. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
  18. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Sorry about that, it's just that over there is where I first saw it referenced in another thread. :)

At least I posted the thread there that YOU posted. :)

Please forgive me, oh super Mod. ;)

19. Matman

Matman Legend

Mar 24, 2008
    For what its worth, drop your address into this site, its pretty easy and should show you exactly where the new dish would need to be aimed. Use the sliders to determine heights of any obstacles and you should be able to try locations all over your yard. For the choisce of Satellite, use the Directv 5lnb. (its down near the bottom of the drop down, about 1/4 up from the bottom)

www.dishpointer.com

20. SHROP

SHROP New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    you should not hook up to the neighbors dish. what happens when the neighbors house gets foreclosed on and the new people get cable.........

or what happens when you dont return his rake from last weekend???????(how'd that line get cut?)

what about when they upgrade their system to add a receiver and your taking up the available ports.......

there are more reasons to not hook up to it.. upon first glance it looks like satellite theft. which is punishable.