1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

frustrating signal problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by j_clay, Dec 25, 2008.

1. j_clay

j_clay Cool Member

Dec 25, 2008
    I have directv and my main receiver is in my bedroom (good receiver). it has dvr and works perfectly. my problem is that our other receiver is in our living room (bad receiver) and not all the channels come in. now when i unplug the good receiver the bad reciever works perfect. its tricky though because even with the good receiver unplugged and the bad receiver working if i turn on my overhead light i lose some channels. directv has been out to my house and replaced the receiver and still the same problem, they blame it on my houses wiring. anyway i enjoy directv but if i cant get it to work properly on both tvs then ill have to switch, any advice or tips on how to adress the problem will be greatly appreciated.

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    If the overhead light causes you to lose channels, it's the wiring. You're going to need to make sure the wire doesn't have any splitters and that it is routed away from the wiring for the lights - also, it's probably cheap cable, so you're going to want to make sure you get RG6 cables.

3. j_clay

j_clay Cool Member

Dec 25, 2008
    ok bear with me please im not the most tech savvy. when i go in my attic and i find my directv cable what will i be looking for. thx again.
    do i just run new cable and keep it away from the electrical wiring

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You didnt mention if you had a HD dish or a standard dish. When you say you lose some channels, are they satellite channels or local antenna channels?

Also, find the 4 wires coming off the dish. They should run into a ground block, which should have a ground wire running to your power breaker box, or the point where your power enters your house. Make sure you have one. If you do not, either hire someone to install one, or if you have the service plan, get Directv to come install one. If the wording on your cable says RG-59, you need to have the cables replaced.

What you describe is a ground loop. You .might. be able to fix it by powering the "bad" receiver from a UPS, but in any event, switching services will only move the problem to a different provider. Until you find the power/cable problem, you will be unhappy.

If the channels you lose are antenna received locals, then its going to be a totally different solution, let us know.

5. j_clay

j_clay Cool Member

Dec 25, 2008
    standard dish still because we dont want to pay extra for the hd if it doesnt work. as for the channels that dont come in they are espn, history channel and such all the local fox, cbs, and abc channels come in

i just look inside the box that the wires from the dish run into, those wires run into a 3x4 multi switch. the only thing i can see on the wire is rg 6 75
    but that was only one wire

also there is a ground wire inside that same box that the dish cables run into

also if you can tell me where to get a ups that will work for my problem

6. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Is there a ground wire attached to the ground terminal on the multiswitch? Try this... take a 7/16 wrench. turn each connector on the multiswitch 1/4 turn counter-clockwise, the back clockwise until snug (but not overly tight). See if that corrects your problem. If not, and the dish is safely accessable, do the same for the connectors on the lnb on the dish, taking care not to move the dish. If any connectors show any sign or rust or moisture, replace it with a compression F connector.

If the multiswitch is powered (plugged into a A/c outlet, try installing a surge protector on that outlet. Most cheap surge protects use two capacitors to ground, which might help.

Your cable is RG6 75 ohms, and unless its physically damaged, should be adequate.

Just a note...if you upgrade to HD they will replace the entire dish and all the cables, multiswitch, and ground the system correctly, and ensure it works correctly (you might have to monitor them to make sure they dont cut any corners like no ground, or reusing current cables).

7. j_clay

j_clay Cool Member

Dec 25, 2008
    ok there is a ground wire that comes out of my house and connects to some kind of nut connecting it to another wire which connects to the side of the 3x4 switch

i took some photos if that helps

8. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Sounds like its grounded ok. If you attached the pictures, I didnt see them, but might have my browser configured wrong. Did loosening and retightening the cables help?

Im guessing you are just using the 101 sat, since 110 is HD. Im not going to worry with 119, since you said the locals were coming in ok. Can you post the signal levels on your 101 sat. You should have a few 0's and a couple other low numbers on the spot transponders, but Ill compare the nationals with my signal here, and see if we can detect a problem.

9. j_clay

j_clay Cool Member

Dec 25, 2008
    i tightened the bolts on 3x4 but its been raining and i dont want to get on the roof right now. also i live in phoenix.

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Also, it you have a DVR (two cables to the bedroom right?) and another receiver in the Living Room (is it a one cable or DVR?), thats a max of 4 cables. Why are you using a multiswitch I am wondering? Do you have a rooftop antenna, with a splitter looking device attached behind the receiver(s)?

11. j_clay

j_clay Cool Member

Dec 25, 2008
  12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I dont have a Gmail account. You can email me the pic if you like to davenlr@yahoo.com.

13. j_clay

j_clay Cool Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Satellite Transponders (32 total at 101)
    1-8: 19 85 20 0 21 96 68 96
    9-16: 91 92 95 0 0 98 0 98
    17-24: 94 83 95 100 95 99 96 98
    25-32: 95 69 96 88 96 99 95 99

14. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Transponders 1,3,4,5,7,13,15 are low. Do you have a phase 3 (3 lnb) dish, or one 18" single dish right now?

15. j_clay

j_clay Cool Member

Dec 25, 2008
    i have just one dish

16. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    That one unused outlet on your multiswitch, make sure that cable thats right below it, isnt touching the multiswitch. Not likely the problem, but could be.

17. j_clay

j_clay Cool Member

Dec 25, 2008
    so if i put electrical tape around the unused outlet will that be good enough cause all those cables are jammed in a box and it would be hard to keep them from touching

18. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Id try that first, since for some reason, they have the output cable running a few inches and then its spliced with a barrel connector It looks like, I dont see why they would do that. Yea, try to isolate stuff in there from touching, and see if it changes any of your signal readings on those low transponders. If it does, you fixed it. If not, you might have a bad cable, lnb, or multiswitch. We can determine which it is, when the weather is better and you can check the two coax connections up on the dish. Start there, and work your way down. Im pretty sure its not your receiver though.

19. j_clay

j_clay Cool Member

Dec 25, 2008
    im out of electrical tape so i used duct tape and now over half the signals are at zero. also i notice a random coax cable coming out of wall into that box that isn't connected to anything.

20. j_clay

j_clay Cool Member

Dec 25, 2008
    just tried again and i have 7 zeros