1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSN Cincinnati and the Blue Jackets

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by akw4572, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Oct 8, 2009 #1 of 27
    akw4572

akw4572 Legend

Sep 7, 2005
    Does anyone know, after the Center Ice free preview, if my local RSN is FSN Cincinnati, will I get the HD games for Blue Jacket hockey? Right now, they are only listed on FSN Ohio HD in the guide, but I am getting them (I'm assuming because of the free CI preview).

2. Oct 8, 2009 #2 of 27
    Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
  3. Oct 8, 2009 #3 of 27
    Laker44

Laker44 Godfather

Jun 18, 2008
    About the only time the games will be HD on FS-Cincinnati,is if the Cavaliers are also playing.They'll have the Cavaliers games on FS-Ohio in HD,and the Blue Jackets on FS-Cincinnati in HD.

4. Oct 8, 2009 #4 of 27
    Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    Reds game are also in HD on FS-C

5. Oct 9, 2009 #5 of 27
    Laker44

Laker44 Godfather

Jun 18, 2008
    Watch around 100 games this past season.;)

6. jaxfan

jaxfan Mentor

Mar 27, 2008
    Sorry akw4572, but you will see little to no Jackets game in HD on FSN-Cinci. Directv will tell you it's a FSN issue, and good luck trying to get any response from FSN.

It has to do with where we live. Since we live in the Cinci area, FSN-Cinci (661) is our regional sports network. We do not get FSN-Ohio (660). However, if we lived a few counties north, we would be get both.

I saw about a handful of games last year in HD on FSN-Cinci 661-1, while all the games FSN Ohio was scheduled to broadcast in HD were on 660-1 (which we do not get). Yeah, doesn't make sense.

Oh and want some better news? Wait until FSN-Cinci shows a High School football game instead of the Jackets... priceless

7. skylab

skylab Legend

Dec 5, 2007
    Not to mention that FSN-Cincinnati has yet to show a single, nationally broadcast FSN college football or basketball game in HD -- including the Cincinnati Bearcats vs. OK State game broadcast nationally in HD this year. Just pathetic.

8. ohpuckhead

ohpuckhead Godfather

Dec 15, 2007
    That goes for FSN-O also.

As for the Jackets situation, that really stinks. FSN and D* will blame it on the other. Have you tried the Blue Jackets?

9. ohpuckhead

ohpuckhead Godfather

Dec 15, 2007
    By the way. I also had the problem of not getting the Jackets' telecasts in SD or HD when the Cavs were playing on FSN-O, even though I subscribe to Center Ice. But once I got the Sports Pak I got all of the games even if only on FSN Cincy.

10. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    DirecTV needs to consolidate its operation in respect to this channel. There is esentually nothing of value different between the two channels since the Indians move to Sports Time Ohio several years ago. If the Reds are on the 661, 660 is most likely showing foxfiller. If the Cavs are on 660, then 661 is.

So consolidate. Carry the "Columbus feed" on 660 in full time HD, with the Reds, Blue Jackets and Cavs, with appropriate blackouts in the varrious zones. Then use 661 as an ALT, onlycarrying live games when two of the above teams are playing at the same time.

11. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    I am with SamC on this one. Consolidate the channels.

12. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    just wanted to say thanlks - I'm used to seeing the Bluejackets playing on 660 from last year and was wondering what this new 661 channel was this year since the jackets games are listed on both this year.

13. CincySaint

CincySaint AllStar

Jan 16, 2008
    I just feel like the Cincinnati area doesn't get much respect from D* regarding HD service.

* No dedicated Fox Sports HD channel
    * Channel 25 not available in HD
    * Channel 64 not available in HD

14. jleupen

jleupen Legend

Jul 26, 2007
    Consolidate the FSN-C and FSN-O channels and give me STO. I'm pretty sure Cincinnati is in Ohio...

15. ohpuckhead

ohpuckhead Godfather

Dec 15, 2007
    Doesn't the Cincy channel also provide programming for parts of IN and KY which is not on in Ohio? Maybe my imagination.

Otherwise, I haven't understood why they don't consolidate for a long time. How much of the FS management is national and how much local. Even back in the SportsChannel days, SportsChannel Ohio was very poor compared to most other RSN's.

16. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Sportstime Ohio: IMHO, there is nothing of value there for anyone outside the Indians part of Ohio on STO. I get STO (and I live across the river in WV) and there is just nothing there to watch other then the Indians. If jleupen got the channel (he would have the Indians blacked out on it) what is left is Cleveland State basketball games and coaches shows from Cleveland and Youngstown States (who cares) and OSU and UND (which are available elesewhere), along with hunting and fishing shows.

FS-Ohio: Leaving out the idea that we need one HD channel rather than two SD ones, FSO is really poorly run from a Reds/Blue Jackets perspective. It, like STO is a 100% Cleveland channel with 100% Cleveland material, that shows the southern Ohio games and in no other way mentions the area. It certainly never mentions the state that is 20 yards from the Reds stadium, nor Indiana nor WV, etc. If the Reds were thinking, what we need is a Fox Sports Ohio VALLEY. With coverage centered on "Reds Country" of southern Ohio, Kentucky, southern Indiana, and western WV. Cincy, Xavier, UK, UL, OSU, Marshall, Miami, IU, Purdue, etc.

17. jleupen

jleupen Legend

Jul 26, 2007
    Truthfully, I wouldn't watch STO very much, but I believe that STO has a number of Ohio State High School Playoffs.

18. bschroed

bschroed New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    I live in Warren County, and also only get FSN-Cinci with my base package. The solution I've found is to pay the extra $12.99/month to DirecTV for the Sports Pack. Then, you'll also get FSN-Ohio and the games in HD. Kind of steep for one channel... although if they keep moving other channels (ESPN Classic) to the Sports Pack, it might not be as painful.

Brian

19. bschroed

bschroed New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    I was just looking at DirecTV's website, and the "Regional Sports Network" page seems to indicate that the base package now includes both FSN Ohio and FSN Cincinnati. I have the sports pack because, a year ago, I was only getting Cincinnati. Can anyone in the Dayton area who doesn't have the sports pack check and see if you get both FSN Ohio and FSN Cincinnati? I'd like to know for sure before I drop the sports pack.

Thanks,
    Brian

20. PlanetBill

PlanetBill Icon

May 8, 2006
    Brian,

I know that during the free preview of center ice and NBA (whatever) I was getting FSN Ohio and FSN Cinci for a while. I'll check later tonight. (Butler County BTW)