1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSN Inclusion in Basic Packages? - AND - Local HD / QAM Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by kwest2, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwest2

kwest2 New Member

May 11, 2007
    Hi guys,

I'm a newbie and have been surfing around but couldn't find an answer to my questions.

Topic 1: FSN Stations

I could not find on D* website anything regarding their inclusion in their packages. I see that you can get all FSN regional stations in the Sports package, but I saw no information on whether the local FSN Regional Station was part of the basic package (such as Choice or Choice Extra). So is the local FSN regional station included, or can I get FSN only through the sports package?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Topic 2: Local HD Stations

(EDIT- did some more searching and it appears QAM is applicable for cable only, not satellite. Sorry for my newbness. Please ignore Topic 2 unless I'm wrong re: QAM)

Assuming I get HD feed here in Boston, and since I have a QAM tuner on my HDTV, I have the following questions:

1) Must I still buy HD Access @ $10/mo to see local stations (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) in HD?
    If yes, 2) Will I require any additional equipment, notably an extra antenna?
    If yes, 3) If I need an antenna, can I hook that directly to my TV or do I also need the HD Box from D*?

Thanks so much, all!

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Your local FSN is always included in your basic package. Put your zip code here to see exactly which ones: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=P3000004

Yep, you are definitely confused. ;) An antenna has nothing to do with getting any station off the satellite. With DirecTV you always have a receiver to decode the channels. Since HD locals in Boston come in off the satellite then it will be on your receiver like all your other channels.

You can get them via antenna OTA as well. Then of course you'd need an antenna. The HR20 for example will integrate in OTA with the satellite channels. You can also plug an antenna directly into your TV, assuming it has an OTA tuner in it. QAM is cable only.

3. kwest2

kwest2 New Member

May 11, 2007
    Thanks a lot, Scott!!!

4. beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    You'll have to buy the HD Access package to get ANY HD. Locals, RSN's, etc. etc.

5. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Sorry I didn't mention that myself. Since the HD Access fee isn't an option anymore it doesn't really matter. If you activate any HD receiver you automatically have to pay for the HD Access fee. With this you are then authorized for any HD version of a channel in whatever package you have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.