1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSN-NW Oregon HD fail

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Miggity, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1 of 11
    Miggity

Miggity AllStar

Aug 10, 2007
    On Saturday Nov, 7th the Oregon/Stanford game was to be shown on FSNNorthwest here in Portland, OR. On the "real" FSNNW channel they were showing a Washington school's game instead.

On channel 688, which is apparently an FSNNW "alternate" they were showing the Oregon game but only in SD and it looked terrible! On channel 688-1 which is apparently an FSNNW-HD "alternate" they were showing nothing but a DirecTV logo and playing music.

Needless to say this was INFURIATING. If I had Comcast cable or Verizon Fios I could have watched the game in HD. If I lived in a different market I could have seen the game in HD since, FSNW and FSNAZ were showing the game in HD.

But here in OREGON we couldn't watch the Oregon game in HD on DirecTV. This is a major failure on the part of DirecTV. I was extremely unhappy about it and spent the entire first quarter on the phone with CSRs who couldnt do anything to fix it.

I tried to remain calm as I explained to two different CSRs and two different Techs the problem but they just didnt get it. They kept insisting it was blackout issues etc. NO. It wasnt. It was your bad.

:mad:

2. Nov 9, 2009 #2 of 11
    coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    No offense, but how do you know it was NOT a blackout issue? Maybe FSNW or Oregon themselves didn't allow the HD feed into Oregon?

3. Nov 9, 2009 #3 of 11
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You could have added the Sports Pack if you realllllly wanted it in HD since it was on a few FSNs in HD.

4. Nov 9, 2009 #4 of 11
    woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I think thats his point. Why was the game in HD everywhere but Oregon?

I understand there are limitations to HD feeds sometimes and some games end up being shot in SD, but as you note Sigma, it was in HD, so why wasn't it in HD on the HD alternate channel on DirecTV for that RSN region?

What kind of blackout rules black out HD feeds but not SD?

5. Nov 9, 2009 #5 of 11
    raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    See ESPN almost every week for college football.

6. Nov 9, 2009 #6 of 11
    bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    I don't think this was a blackout issue. I don't know if DirecTV was out of bandwidth from other games, but in this particular case, FSN Northwest territory was just split. The game wasn't blacked out anywhere.

7. Nov 9, 2009 #7 of 11
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm betting this is right. If it was blacked out, 688-1 would have been blackedout, not a Directv slide. It seems Washington got priority.

8. Nov 9, 2009 #8 of 11
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Seems incomprehensible given the records of the Washington teams but not all that unusual. Oregon usually gets screwed by FSN during high school championships in favor of the Washington tournaments as well.

9. Nov 9, 2009 #9 of 11
    hyde76

hyde76 Legend

Nov 26, 2007
    This was not a DTV problem. Last week, UCLA and Oregon had the same problem on FSNPT-HD in LA. Seems that the problem could be with the equipment being used in Corvalis. No HD at all and looked just terrible in SD. I was so worried this weekend since UCLA was again on Prime Ticket, the same channel that instead of risk it, I went to the game. When I got home, I was relieved to see the game was broadcast in proper and perfect HD.

10. sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    That doesn't make any sense, since this past Saturday's game was on in HD on many RSNs, it was Stanford vs Oregon (not Oregon St.) and was played in Palo Alto.

11. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    It's just what happens sometimes. Take a Red Wings game for example. If it gets bumped from FS Detroit to FSN Plus it won't be in HD, even if there is an HD feed on the away RSN. FSD doesn't do HD on FSN Plus. DirecTV can't show HD if the channel feed they get isn't in HD.

Not sure if it's the same thing but it sounds similar.