1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full line-up of local DT stations?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tiebmbr, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    It appears as though there seem to several posters miffed about the lack of an OTA option on the HR21...Do you suppose, with the launch of the 11 sat next year, that D* will begin to include many of the local DT stations people have been using their OTAs for?

I know here in Philly, the PBS nets have great programming on -1, -2, etc. that are what make the OTA a must in my home.

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    D10 and D11 will both provide local HD stations for additional markets and together they should cover the vast majority of the country. It's unlikely that the sub-channels will be added.

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    As stated many times...

When the D11 SAT is launched, you are going to see a significant increase in DMA's carried, and an increase in the channels carried in existing DMA's.

The two sats combined will have the ability for 1,500 Local feeds

IMHO:
    I highly doubt though, you will see the sub-channels.... if anything they may be added as additional SD Locals, in areas were the content is actual content... and not just weather maps.

4. NCMAT

NCMAT Godfather

Feb 12, 2007
    Even if you get your local HDs from D*, the ONLY way to get PBS HD is OTA. This might not change anytime soon.

5. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    IMHO... that is PBS's call.
    DirecTV will be more then capable of carrying the base HD enabled stations...

But if PBS continues to insist on "must-carry" all the sub-channels...

For a network that is "public-access"... they should be more focused on getting their base channel out there to as many people as possible. (IMHO)

I love the content on PBS... but I know a LOT of people will not install an OTA antenna on their home, so they can get an HD version of it...

6. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    That seems like it might be more than enough space to provide the subchannels PBS is requiring be carried...why play hardball?

7. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Plus, since we can't get nearby DTV stations (from nearby cities), OTA is a must unless D* would allow multi-market HD locals as well (which I am sure won't happen).

8. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD

Oh my.

You just gave the reason for OTA.

*I* will decide what is actual content....weather maps are excellent use of local subchannels.

9. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    You keep saying folks don't want antennas on their homes yet I recently drove from Oswego, IL to Champaign and saw antennas all over the place.

And come to rural Maryland and other rural areas and you will see lots of antennas.

You need to get out more.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I would love to see some hard data on OTA usage by satellite subscribers. It's all rumor at this point and would settle this argument.

11. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Well sorry... I go to UofI many of times... and have logged a good several thousand miles between my home and UofI

There is no doubt that OTA is important to those that rural..

But come take a drive around the three subdivisions around my home, which are around 2,000 homes... you will not see many OTA antennas...

You drive around Oak Lawn (where I grew up)... You will see a lot of OTA antennas, but you will also see most of those are not even standing up anymore... they are just there on the roof.

There is no doubt that OTA is important to some... and if you want those...
    There is plenty of technology out there to allow you to access it.

12. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Exactly... and you can also decide on the equipment you want to use to access that content.

So long as you know the facts that "X" box will or won't access the OTA, then you as a customer can make the necessary choices.

Still doesn't change the fact that probably are not going to take up the band with to provide a relative "static" map sub-channel for weather broadcasts...

13. rawilson

rawilson AllStar

Oct 9, 2007
    I'm very pleased that I now get my local 24 hour news channels OTA in the Raleigh, NC area. It's also nice that when my favorite team's nationally televised football games are pre-empted by the local teams, I can switch over to the alternate channel to see my game.

I've been complaining a lot about lack of DLB, but being able to use the DVR for the OTA channels is one feature I love about my HR20.

14. psychobabbler

psychobabbler Legend

Sep 16, 2006
    Anybody and everybody here in my hometown that chooses D* has to have OTA if they want their locals (unless of course they lie and "move" to Dallas). Even with OTA, some of the channel providers suck when it comes to their transmission (obviously an issue with the channel, not D*. NBC and Fox aren't even HD, yet).

D* does not even carry our SD channels here, which is the reason most sat folks go with Dish, because they do carry our locals in SD (though not in HD, obviously). More people here would choose D* if it weren't for the locals issue. I guess their loss. Hey, but I'm moving in the next year to a DMA that has their locals in HD through D*, so I'm just waiting...(though I think I will still want OTA for sports and the locals not carried in HD by D*).

15. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    So, back on topic, it is believed by you, Earl, and others, that D* will not expend much of that newly acquired satcasting real estate when D11 goes up for local DTs? Why not? It would certainly make the whole OTA issue a moot point.

...plus cable's doing it.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.