1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of Sunday Ticket

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mluntz, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mluntz

mluntz Icon

Jul 13, 2006
    How much longer is D*'s contract for Sunday Ticket? I'm just curious because if I upgrade my equipment, I have to absorb the cost of that, plus the new 2-year agreement is the big issue.

Fios is now available in my area, and if it wasn't for ST, I would probably seriously consider switching.

I know I can suspend my account, but I would still have to endure all of the above.

2. grate88

grate88 DBSTalk Club Member

Sep 14, 2006
    at least two more years - it's between 2010 and 2012 if I recall correctly.

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005

And you can almost put money down that DirecTV will do what ever they have to, in order to keep it exclusive after that.

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I think it is 2010 or 2011.

5. grate88

grate88 DBSTalk Club Member

Sep 14, 2006
    From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Sunday_Ticket:

6. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    However, at the rate that the NFL is carrying games other than on the two general Sunday slots the package becomes less valuable and more expensive. With Sunday night, Monday night, NFL network games and more other nights we will get fewer and fewer games. Then trying to charge extra for HD - they can charge extra for the other features but NFL HD at 100 isn't that much cheaper than the whole HD package a year.

7. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I think with all the fuss over the Baseball exclusive that when D tries to get the NFL again it will be the same mess all over again :rolleyes:

8. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Nah, different story. The "big deal" with MLB was that it has been on cable and Dish for years and thus there would be people that would lose it. NFL ST has only been on DirecTV and no other provider other then C-Band waaaaaay back in the day.

9. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Besides, the NFL gets away with a ton of crap but MLB never does. You think the NFL isn't full of steroids? But Congress made them the poster boy of drug testing.

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    MLB has an anit-trust exemption from Congress, the NFL doesn't. This makes MLB have to walk on glass a lot more then the NFL. NFL can pretty much tell Congress to pound sand so long as they aren't doing anything illegal. And selling their out of market package to the highest bidder certainly is not illegal.

11. james2006

james2006 Legend

Oct 11, 2004
    I thought the NFL got an anti-trust exemption as part of their merger with the USFL...are you sure they don't have one also?

12. thumperr

thumperr Godfather

Feb 10, 2006
    The USFL never merger with the NFL. The USFL went bankrupt.

13. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    In a way, they are testing the drugs....like for quality. :lol:

14. convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    mluntz - to more precisely answer your question, your upgrade and commitment would be a minimum of 24 months (less than the exclusivity of NFLST) and about 100 buck unless you can work a D* CSR to give the upgrade ot you free. Plus with the additional HD channels coming out why wouldn't you want to upgrade. D*'s rates are typically better than most of the cable industry. Also once you get into an H20 or HR20 it is leased and D* will have replace/upgrade you without major hit to your wallet (typically just the shipping charge). It is a much better system plus install is free regardless now (except for custom or complex install). I don't know your history with D* but they typically will work with a good customer.

15. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

The DirecTV contract for NFL Sunday Ticket expires after the 2010 season. The contract for 2003-7 called for exclusive rights for 2003-5 and non-exclusive rights for 2006-7. Rather than have the cable companies get access to the package in 2006, DirecTV negotiated a new contract that gave them exclusing rights through 2010. To keep the deal exclusive, they had to increase the fee from $400 million per season to $700 million. You can bet DirecTV will do whatever it can to extend its exclusive rights before the current contract expires, so don't count on getting it through FIOS.

As to the comment about MLB's antitrust exemption, that really doesn't amount to anything these days. It was a legal precedent that made baseball's reserve clause legal. The reserve clause really doesn't exist anymore and the impact of MLB losing its antitrust exemption would be negligible.

16. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    rc,
    That exemption is very important to MLB. It also allows them to stop teams from moving to other cities without league permission. That's something the NFL would love to have...and the reason they lost to Al Davis when he moved the Raiders in the early 80s.

Right now I'd bet against the deal remaining exclusive in 2010...but it's all a wild guess as we don't really know where the market will be by that time.

17. noneroy

noneroy Godfather

Aug 21, 2006
    You've pretty much summed up why D* won't let it go. The NFL loves exclusive contracts (EA Sports, I'm looking at you). I would have probably stuck with cable or gone to AT&T's U-Verse by now if it weren't for ST. If ST left D* they would probably lose a lot of customers.

If you want this to change, you should look into whatever bill Arlin Spector was sponsoring. I guess he's a huge Eagles fan and lives in a house without a southwest facing view :lol: :lol: He's saying that it's a monopoly and wants it broken up....but honestly, do you think your local cable co. has the bandwidth to actually provide Sunday Ticket? In HD? FIOS, sure...but Comcast? pfft, if they had the room, they'd have more channels.

18. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    While I would absolutely love to see InDemand get NFL ST, if it were to happen the next time they're able to bid, it would probably be upwards of $300/season . I love the Titans and in hindsight I should have subscribed to Sunday Ticket when I had DirceTV, but hey ya never know, if InDemand can pony up the cash and fight for consumers and fans, and do the awesome job like they did with MLB EI, I just might say screw it and order. NFL ST on cable that would be too cool. Watching the Titans almost make .500 in HD on cable, way too cool. :)

The price of Sunday Ticket has really gotten of hand. Three of the guys at work had it, two of then canceled last year and the other will not be renewing this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.