1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Future of TV Program Delivery

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by mreposter, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Aug 4, 2009 #1 of 29
    mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    CBS Research Analyst discusses the future of program delivery
    http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/2009/08/game-changer-cbs-research-guru.php

boiled down highlights include:
    - DVRs are transitional technology to be replaced by internet delivery
    - Internet-enabled TVs will show up in 2010 (no big surprise)
    - Local affiliates are in trouble (if you read between the lines)
    - Local news is about the only value add for local affiliates
    - Nets have new opportunities to make money

I agree with most of what he said, but think there's still another shoe to drop as more and more programming moves from "scheduled" to on-demand.

2. Aug 4, 2009 #2 of 29
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I see internet delivery stumbling as more ISPs impose BW caps and/or per Mb fees.

3. Aug 4, 2009 #3 of 29
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Internet delivery, at the speeds necessary for HD quality, is a long ways off for the masses, simultaneous multi-channel would be out of the question.

4. Aug 4, 2009 #4 of 29
    say-what

say-what DIRECTV A-Team

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Until bandwidth is addressed and higher speed delivery is made available to everyone and at affordable prices - internet delivery will continue to be a novelty.

5. Aug 4, 2009 #5 of 29
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Have to agree there... Internet delivery for the masses is quite a ways off.

The bandwidth isn't there for the masses, and really not sufficient even in the elite areas where folks have super-high-speed FIOS Internet. Also, the way ISPs are looking at pay-per-play on bandwidth, it will never happen on that front either.

I think certainly there could start to be some shows exclusive to Internet delivery. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some more mainstream webisode-type shows start up to try and attract people... but I think it will be a niche for quite a while.

6. Aug 4, 2009 #6 of 29
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers DIRECTV A-Team

Sep 22, 2006
    Everything he suggests will never even be possible without a drastic, non capped bandwidth increase across the board. There is no way that the current internet structure can support this. The USA lags seriously behind in bandwidth availability, we don't even rank in the top 10 of average internet speeds around the world.

7. Aug 5, 2009 #7 of 29
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Heck, there's still a meaningful number of Americans who cannot get high speed internet (satellite internet services don't count).

8. Aug 5, 2009 #8 of 29
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    Agree....been saying that now for over a year as well.

Perhaps in 3-5 years, but not sooner.

9. Aug 5, 2009 #9 of 29
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Sure it's possible that total on-demand internet-based delivery is possible in the future, but you need 15Mb downstream on a pretty reliable basis... that's what "high speed" means in 2009. (I remember when 1200 baud, or roughly .001Mb, was high speed.)

Perhaps someone will invent a miracle codec that allows for Blu-ray quality at 3Mbps but until then, I don't see it.

He is right, though, local affiliates are in trouble and that's trouble for everyone. When there are no newspapers or TV stations that serve your hometown, when it's easier to find out what they're wearing in Milan than what your kid's having for lunch... we're all in trouble.

10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Do you ever feel like "the good old days" were less than 10 years ago?

11. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Yeah... when every city had a newspaper, a post office, a locally-owned hardware store, etc. etc. etc.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Given that universal broadband access is the current pet project at the FCC, I think we can assume that nobody is particularly concerned about bandwidth. As long as the Comcasts, the Qworsts, the Verizons and the AT&Ts can bill you for something they'll make it happen; especially if the can make it traffic sensitive.

13. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    ^^^ Wasn't it called Internet 2.0 or something where they were talking about billing by traffic instead of ( or in addition to ) a flat monthly access rate?

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    This thread brings up a memory of an interview on a local TV news station back in the late 80's or early 90's. Some tech guru was being interviewed about TV via the internet. The news anchor (an idiot, but that's a different story) kept trying to compare it to channels. He kept referring to cable TV's 200 channels and asking how many channels there would be on the web. The techie kept trying to explain the concept of URLs which wasn't widely understood by most people then. He'd say that there would be thousands of URLs that you could enter and the anchor would come back with "So there will be thousands of channels? How can anyone watch all that?".

The techie finally gave up.

15. bscoles

bscoles Legend

Jan 2, 2003
    Joplin, MO
    Internet delivery could potentially be possible in 2010 for some provided they are not BW capped. Personally, I don't think 2010 is a realistic time frame for both technical and practical reasons. Also, Internet 'enabled' also does not directly translate to a complete model of watching TV from the Internet or IPTV.

If you were to combine technologies, it could almost be indistinguishable from existing DVR technology. So you could browse your guide for shows, then set them to 'Record'(download) as a series link - downloading when they became available. Live viewing could be more problematic, but stream BW adjustments could allow it to be tailored to the BW available.

Local, Regional & National shows could be delivered to common connected server farms that could then redestribute throughout the nation.

The only thing is, I have not seen any hardware, software or business models that currently attempts to do any of the above examples in a self contained form. Not that any of my examples are the end all, be all... but I do think it's going to require a combination of technologies. Closest, so far, is the on-demand feature in the DirecTV DVR.

In the end though, it's not the technology that is going to limit it's availability in the next few years. What is going to have to change is the large Media Behemoths to change their direction away from what it perceives as a tried and true method 'mass' delivery to a new approach. Even locals could attempt to compete, but would require a major change in the business model and mindset. Yes, in some ways it is heading that way, what with hulu and netflix, etc. making offerings. But these are all currently designed not to displace the current method.

16. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Time Warner tried that "pay by the kilobyte" stuff here in Austin, and due to public outcry, cancelled the "test' of that service...

It is going to take the consumer to complain, or competition to make a difference...

Here in Austin, the normal rate is 7Mbit, but in areas where there is FIOS, TWC has it raised... I so wish FIOS would come to the Austin area so I can get decent internet speeds...

17. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    The good old days are in front of us...unless of course you're betting long term on old, stop-gap technology like hard-drive based single DVRs and one-way satellite delivery of content. They won't go away totally anytime soon, but an HR2x will pretty much akin to running a Commodore 64 before very long. I think we'll see adoption really start around 2011 and the "gold rush" around 2013 - 2015.

We may see the concept of networks go away as well...production studios and/or networkks may choose to go direct to customers.

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    1200 baud?!? My first modem was for my C64 at a whopping 300 baud... :D

- Merg

19. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Luxury! My first modem was the kind where you had to put the phone handset in a cradle! (Technically not a modem but an acoustic coupler!)

20. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    ^^^^ Would you like to play a game Professor Falken?