1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future Tense: Are TV and Movie Studios Bound for Extinction?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Athlon646464, May 13, 2011.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Very interesting read...........

"Today, we have a different breed of dinosaurs on the planet. Studius Gigantosaurus. Paramount, Universal, Fox, Sony, Columbia, Disney, and MGM. And Networkus Idocius. CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, etc. These dinosaurs eat enormous amounts of green stuff, they produce incredible amounts of dung, and they dominate the landscape."

"Unfortunately, for these dinosaurs, a massive object has struck the planet and they are walking around not recognizing yet just how much their ecology has changed. This asteroid is the internet and it’s a lot larger than Manhattan. This catastrophic force hasn’t just created an alternate form of distribution, it has created a whole new environment where wondrous new forms of content are inevitable."

Article Here

[​IMG]

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Interesting article, but an analogy taken way too far. I have a Tyrannosaur-sized headache. B)

3. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Ha! I'm going to watch one of those new Star Treks today. Hopefully I won't need an Excedrin to finish the program! :p

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    While I don't think TV and movie studios are heading towards extinction I do feel they have taken a wrong path with their heavy reliance on franchising, retreading, cgi, and special effects. Hollywood needs to return to making films with story content via talented screenwriters. Just look at the films that were made during Hollywood's heyday. Few were franchised and special effects were used only when needed. Plus they had the ability to turn out these films in a short amount of time. The studio execs should to look at their past instead of reinventing the wheel.