1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

FXM Movie Channel Commercials

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Lois Avery, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lois Avery

Lois Avery New Member

Oct 10, 2012
    To all concerned,I am a Christian,not affiliated with any specific church but I beleive in God and the Bible.I was suprised tonight as I was watching the FXM channel and a commercial came on that had the words "hell" and "damn" in it.I know the movies are rated for parental guidance but the commercials are not.I beleive it was a beer commercial,not sure,but I'm sure that DirecTV can locate it and hopefully,they will give me a response to my concerns to my email address.I will have to give up FXM channel if the commercial remains without "bleeping out" the bad words and I do like the channel.I hope that DirecTV can take some action on this problem for the children's sake and for the parents that watch that allow their children to watch certain movies and can regulate their children's viewing of movies without being exposed to the commercials that contain inappropriate content for certain ages of children.Thank you so much for listening to my concerns and some sort of resolution to this problem.Lois Avery

2. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    DAMN...must be one HELL of a commercial.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You really expect DirecTV to "take action" because one of the channels they rebroadcast airs a commercial with words "damn" and "hell"? I don't think those words even merit a "PG" rating any more.

4. charlie460

charlie460 Godfather

Sep 12, 2009
    You've gotta be kidding me...

5. swissin

swissin AllStar

May 25, 2006
    How about all the anti abortion commercials and how gross they are and a lies they say. Or how about all the GOP lie’s is a lie not a sin! The word hell and damn are not sins. So I will put it this way so what.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The two words you find so offensive (hell and damn) are repeatedly used in the bible and the bible is the word of God! They can also be found in the English dictionary. The response you'll get from DirecTV is that they are a service provider, not a content provider. With the exception of their own channels they have no input with programing and advertising. I strongly suggest you look at how wildlife raise their young. They don't shelter their offspring from the world they'll be living in. They expose them to it and train them how to live in it. You would be wise to do the same with your children.

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    As with everything Lois, you have a choice not to watch it or any other material you find offensive.

8. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Lois, it is not DirecTV's job to be the word police. They simply pass along what is coming to them.

You are on a slippery slope here. If you want your content providers, being anybody from the newspaper through the cable company to the post office, to start censoring information before it reaches you, what happens when they start removing stuff you believe in? Somebody up thread was offended by anti-abortion advertising. If, to avoid offending anyone, DirecTV started censoring out Pro-Life ads along with the language you find so terrible, how would you feel about that?

Your defense is the off button and the parental controls built into the system. DirecTV has allowed you to be the censor, where that power ought to belong.

And good luck with your battle. I'm sure you'd find my daily language offensive. But I also find it amazing that words I'd never use in church or in a conversation with my mother are now in commercials, deleted only by a loud beep. Everyone knows what was said. It's said in the viewer's mind, beep or no beep. That is outragious and a change I don't like.

9. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    I cant even take the OP seriously. When it started "I am a Christian", there were 100 different ways I expected the commentary to go. Hell and damn? Come on...

10. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    It wouldnt of happened if she was reading the bible in stead of watching TV :rolleyes:

11. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"
    Rhett Butler in "Gone with the Wind".

There are a lot of words that are much more offensive than those two.

12. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    I'm assuming the poster was joking or at least I hope he is. :)

13. Crow159

Crow159 DIRECTV A-Team

May 23, 2007
    Well I agree with the OP, I don't like hearing that kind of language when I was watching the cinematic masterpiece Wrong Turn 2 on FXM this morning at 4:00am.

:lol:

14. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    I don't think that she is making a joke. She just joined and it's her first post. While I don't think Directv is responsible for the content, I do believe the station FXM is. If they rated their programming for not having objectionable language, but allow the commercials to do so, she may have a small point. But what I can say, she's gone to the wrong place to make this point. She should be contacting FXM and telling them how she feels.

I don't think it's productive to harass people, because of their religious beliefs and if Lois is expressing her opinion, I'm fine with that. Some of you guys need to cut her some slack and contain your political opinions. Maybe we should be helping her, by directing her to the proper authorities, not condemning her.

15. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    @ PrinceLH -- Excellent post, thank you.

16. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    While there have been some light hearted, humorous reactions to the OP's post I fail to see any harassment or condemning. People simply offered their thoughts and opinions on the subject matter which they, like the OP, have a right to do. And for the record, several posters, myself included, offered advice and help.

17. NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan Legend

Apr 23, 2010
    LOL times infinity. OP obviously don't understand how commercial advertising sales works. Here's a nice book I've used for years http://www.mediaselling.us/

18. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    Cancel all pay television subscriptions, newspapers, magizines, keep your kids home from school, lock the doors, bar the windows, pull down the shades, & hide under the bed. Then, maybe, just MAYBE you can avoid all these things that are evil in the world....

19. iceman2a

iceman2a Icon

Dec 30, 2005
    Hudson, FL...
    Agree! Avoid what you find offensive. Don't expect advertiser's to adjust their message because you find it offensive. They target the "masses"!

20. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    I second the notion that it is FXM that Lois has an isse with and not DirecTV.

My other concern (and it may be a misinterpetation on my part) is that from reading her original post she may be expecting a response from DirecTV based on the strength of posting her complaint here.

So for the record...

**Lois, I want to ensure that you understand this site is not officially affiliated with DirecTV. You cannot contact them via these forums and will not receive a reply based on postings made here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.