1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Adapter Questions

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by DCSholtis, Dec 31, 2009.

1. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    I have a PS3 that I have hooked up wirelessly via my Apple Airport Extreme. Right now I'm getting very slow download speeds on demos, etc and streaming via Netflix is also a pain in the you know where. That being said I'm looking into a Gaming Adapter for the PS3. Which are ones some of you are using? Also do any of you have any experience with this one?

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wireless-Gaming-Adapter-TEW-647GA/dp/B0024G48VA

Happy New Year!!
    Dan

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Forgive me for being a bit confused... but since the PS3 has both ethernet and b/g WiFi built in... you shouldn't need anything else except your normal config.

Or are you looking to replace your Airport with a new router?

3. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Hardwire it.......

4. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Looking to extend the network to hopefully get some better performance. Hard wiring is impossible the router is in a different room. Should also say I'm looking to one of these in order to get the Wireless-N performance to the PS3.

5. Jan 1, 2010 #5 of 11
    Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Well if you router is in a different room; it is NOT impossible to wire. It maybe however that you don't want to crawl though the attic and or basement to do the install.

In that case, another alternative is to buy a 200Mbps powerline adapter kit. This would also be considered a hardwired line with the only exception being that the ethernet signal is piggy backed on your existing romax/power lines.

A variety of manufacturers including netgear, dlink & linksys (just to name a few) have a variety of such products avalable at your local retail store such as bestbuy.

6. Jan 1, 2010 #6 of 11
    Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    Go with the linksys WET610N. I use this for my hr22 and ps3 and it works flawless for both items. Make sure to have the latest firmware to acheive optimal performance. Stay away from powerline adaptors if possible. I've tried netgear ones and they do not compare to the WET610N and oh yeah it is directly supported by the HR2x series.

7. Jan 1, 2010 #7 of 11
    kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Other thoughts. Maybe you have a poor wireless signal in the room in question. If possible try testing speeds with a laptop in there. Make sure you're using WPA and WEP for your wireless. What is your intenet speed? Were these at times when other people in the household are using the internet? I got 3 meg dsl and some demos are slow because of size and also time of day. On your netflix, are you picking HD or SD versions of a movie? Make sure that other folks aren't leaching off of your wireless router.

8. Jan 1, 2010 #8 of 11
    DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm using WPA/WPA2 for my wireless and I too have the 3meg DSL but I upgraded to the 6mbps Elite package which takes effect Tuesday afternoon. My speed on my laptop is just about 2.5 megs but the PS3 is under 1meg most times. This is at night and I'm the only one online. I have my firewall up as well. Though I have tried it with both my firewall on and off for the PS3 and as funny as it sounds the speed seems faster with the firewall off. The PS3 claims it is getting 100% signal strength. I'm going to try and see what the bump up in DSL speeds does before making a decision on if a gaming adapter is really needed. Thanks everyone.

9. Jan 4, 2010 #9 of 11
    nn8l

nn8l Legend

Sep 7, 2007
    Its common for d/l's to be pretty pokey on the Playstation Network.

10. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Right now after my DSL bump up my laptop is running about 5.2 megs on average, PS3 on average about half that 2.5. This is when the laptop is on but idling. Router is in the same room and the PS3 is showing 100% signal strength. Something does not seem to compute though. I'm using WPA2 security and firewall is on. Alebob911 I'll look into that linksys and try to decide after I do some troubleshooting first.

11. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Got that TrendNet unit a few days ago. Works great now I have consistent speed on both my home network and my PS3 enabling me now to stream Netflix in HD.