1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gave up Dish Absolute Pkg.

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by smackman, Dec 19, 2008.

1. smackman

smackman Godfather

Sep 18, 2006
    After talking with "employees" in Denver I decided to give up my Dish absolute pkg. I went WITH:
    America's Top 200 $40.39 (DVR Advantage)
    AMERICA'S TOP 250 BONUS PAK $10.01
    GoldHD $10.00
    PlatinumHD $10.00
    local channels $5.00
    DISH Network DVR Service Fee $4.60
    Monthly Total Price $80.00

I missed my RSN, Spike, Fox News to mention a few.
    I also picked up Encore east in HD now.
    My contacts in Denver were able to hook me up "Turbo".
    I also received a discounted rate for 3 months. No commitments!

I have been told that the channels on Dish Absolute will never expand even if it is "grandfathered" next year. No new HD. You must "Turbo" if you want to see new HD Channels coming "soon".

I hated going from approx $41 a month to $80 a month but what the heck.
    I could drop to AT200 with Turbo silver and leave off the platinum and pay approx $60 a month.
    Anyway I have my channels back and look forward to many new HD Channels in 2009.

2. TvilleBee

TvilleBee AllStar

Feb 11, 2007
    Why are you paying for Gold & Platinum? Doesn't the next level of package include the package below it?

3. smackman

smackman Godfather

Sep 18, 2006
    It cost $10 dollars to add Gold to AT250 and another $10 dollars for Platinum. Maybe I am not understanding your Question. I want all available HD excluding premium channels and the AT 250 pkg.

4. Mr.72

Mr.72 Icon

Feb 2, 2007
    BTW I have the same package as you, and I switched from AbsoluteHD. I am paying a grand total of $49.90/mo.

5. smackman

smackman Godfather

Sep 18, 2006
    May I ask how you got that price? What did I do wrong?

6. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Plus per the retailer chat this week, all of the packages are going up from between $ 3-10.00 per month in Feb 09:mad:

7. Mr.72

Mr.72 Icon

Feb 2, 2007
    I called them and tried to switch to TurboHD, because I wanted my RSN back. They said I couldn't switch to TurboHD. After a lot of arguing, I finally asked to cancel my service. The "loyalty" dept guy who got on the phone then offered me the package that I needed (basically, all of the HD channels I had with Absolute, plus the non-HD-only base package that would include my RSN) for the same price that I was paying for AbsoluteHD. The alternative was for them to lose a customer.

8. smackman

smackman Godfather

Sep 18, 2006
    Nothing wrong with that. I had around $161 dollars refunded to my account for charging me a Receiver fee when I had only one Receiver. I also threatened to cancel if this was not amended. They also sent me a new 722 (with remotes). I did not really need the 722 but I took it with no commitments.
    There is a lot of competition so stand your ground.

9. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    Specifically, HD Absolute customers are guaranteed to get all new HD channels that come out before Feb 1. After that, no new HD as part of that package.

10. HDRoberts

HDRoberts Godfather

Dec 11, 2007
    Yep, as expected. But before I will bite, Dish needs to offer a carrot. No need to preemptively change until Dish launches more stuff I want. And when they do, I'm probably only going to TurboHD Silver.

Or perhaps in Feb, they will use a stick and not continue to grandfather the package.

11. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    Heck, if BBC America comes out in HD before Feb 1, i'm keeping HD Absolute as long as humanly possible

12. smackman

smackman Godfather

Sep 18, 2006
    I will be very suprized to see any new HD Channels before Feb. 1 unless its WFN part 2.
    My sources in the mile high city say no more HD for The HD Absolute customers. I guess they could be wrong.
    Anyway, I wanted my RSN, Spike and Fox News Channel.
    If any of these 3 go HD before Feb. 1, 2009, I still will be a happy person.
    If Dish has a "dramatic price increase in Feb., I will probably go to AT200 with turbo silver.
    When certain channels go HD, I will go to a HD package only such as Turbo Silver. You get your RSN with Turbo silver.
    I currently get the Platinum upgrade for free.

13. smackman

smackman Godfather

Sep 18, 2006
    OTA HD is beginning to look real good.
    Dish or Direct raising prices during this economic crisis we are going thru would be a arrogant and possibly costly move for these 2 companies.
    Just my opinion.

14. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    All providers are raising prices after the first of the year.

15. smackman

smackman Godfather

Sep 18, 2006
    Well, Thats a Broad answer. I am assuming you are talking about cable networks, DBS providers etc.
    The economy is really bad as we all know and raising rates could back fire for Dish and Directv.
    You cannot pul blood out of a turnip.
    :backtotop

16. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    Yes, all providers that I have seen are raising rates, that includes Comcast, TWC, AT&T, Charter, etc. Since all are raising prices then there is no advantage for anyone to switch providers.

It's a business decision. From the looks of it, Dish is increasing rates about 13%. The question will they lose 13% of their subscribers (or income) because of the rate increase? If they don't they come out a bit ahead in short term. In the long term, once the economy recovers in a year or so, they really make out as that 13% increase will already have been adsorbed with an additional % increase the next year.

But I suspect the real reason for the increase is the increased costs to adding all these HD channels everyone wants. You wanna play you gotta pay!!!!

17. CoolGui

CoolGui Icon

Feb 8, 2006
    If it was increased prices for HD, shouldn't it only raise the HD package/add on prices, and not all packages across the board?

18. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Virtually every network, both local and "cable network", are or have raised their retransmission rate to all providers. Locals especially are struggling to pay for their digital/HD upgrades along with a loss of viewership to the ever expanding lineup of cable networks, and are trying to get as much money as possible from the providers. You may have read all of the posts about this or that station being pulled until an agreement was worked out. All of those agreements have SOME rate increase, but many locals want MAJOR increases, like 50% or more. They aren't getting all that, but the increases are a lot more than 2%.

Thus, every provider has to raise their prices and pass this on to their customers. It's no different than fuel surcharges at UPS and FedEx when gas was $5/gallon. It's business.

Let's not forget that all providers continue to add channels and services. That all has to be paid for somewhere.

19. ImBack234

ImBack234 Godfather

Aug 26, 2008
    All but E*. :eek2::nono2::mad:

20. smackman

smackman Godfather

Sep 18, 2006
    My telephone service is not going up in price.
    My Internet provider is not going up in price.
    Dish will be looking for a "bailout" if they continue this type of business.
    I believe the excuses used for the price increase for Dish could be used by "Joe the plumber" or any company.

The economy is terrible.
    Cash flow for many is worse than 5 years ago.
    I find it ridiculous to make excuses for a price increase when this Company is fighting for survival amongst stiff competition.
    Many Americans are not getting there "3%" raise this year.
    Many are glad to have a job.
    More Customers means more money. We will see if this is a sound strategy for Dish.
    Ridiculous price increases during this economic back slide make no sense IMO.