1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Home Networking

Discussion in 'Tips & Resources Collaboration' started by schwefel, Nov 20, 2011.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schwefel

schwefel Cool Member

Jan 3, 2009
    After taking the input from everyone, reworking, adding/modifting some sections, I gave the document to my wife. She has now done her red pen magic.

I submit the final draft of the General Home Networking document.

Unless someone feels that there are changes that need to be made, I see no reason why the doc cannot be moved live.

Jason

2. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Thanks Jason, I'll give it a run through tomorrow.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    NAT & PAT - you explain a little about PAT but don't say anything about NAT. You might give an equally brief explanation about network address translation, and how your local router typically does this task allowing all of the devices on your home network (with 192.168.x.x type addresses) to access the internet.

Open Air paragraph: Specialized antennas ... can enable TO use of Wi-Fi ... should be THE use of Wi-Fi...

Data paragraph: ... there are two types of data that will be... should be that WE will be...

Delay paragraph: ...nothing can move fast than the speed... should be FASTER

Propagation delay paragraph (2nd para): ...but it will still take the same amount of time to for the... delete TO

Special Bonus Section, 2nd para: B1 will receive the broadcst and sent it out... SEND it out.

My special bonus section: There are a couple of "in to" that should be "into".

Otherwise, excellent document. I learned from it.

4. schwefel

schwefel Cool Member

Jan 3, 2009
    For NAT/PAT: I only talk about PAT because, regardless of how it is labeled in the home router, it is actually PAT. Strictly speaking NAT required 1:1 private to public IPs. I will, however, make note of that. As for how it works, I am reluctant to do so as going in to more detail may cause one's eyes to glass over. I think it is important to know that it does it but not the nitty gritty of how it does it.

Other comments: I will adjust.

Thank you. If you want more in depth info on a specific topic, PM me.

Thanks,

Jason

5. schwefel

schwefel Cool Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Dc s updated based on Carl6's suggestions.

Jason

6. schwefel

schwefel Cool Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Scott,

Do you see any reason not to go live with the doc?

7. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    I'll read it over the next day. We are preparing a post that will contain links to each document all in one post so they are easy to find. This will be similar to the First Look posts that have the links to those.

8. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    Jason would you please remove the first lines?

"*This primer is written with a focus on the DirecTV integration to a home network, but most will also
    equally apply to Dish Network and generic MoCA deployments.
    *I am still relatively new to MoCA (and by extension, DECA). As I learn more I will correct/add to the
    document in those areas."

Then would you see if you can adjust some of the page breaks to try and start each page with a new topic? (If Possible)

Finally would you please post the final .docx so I can store it at the site?

Thanks and it was nice to meet you last week.

9. schwefel

schwefel Cool Member

Jan 3, 2009
    I will adjust later today.

10. schwefel

schwefel Cool Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Ok, a little later than I expected. Here is the doc, in both .docx and .pdf formats.

Jason

11. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    The title needs to be all caps but other than that, I think it looks really good.

This is going to be a great resource!

12. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    I fixed the title and will post it in the sticky.

13. schwefel

schwefel Cool Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Thanks

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.