1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General sat question?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by geekgirrl, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 5, 2007 #1 of 11
    geekgirrl

geekgirrl Cool Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Does ANY sat system allow me to get BBC1 and all the other BBC stations here in the USA? I get BBC America but it's a joke compared to real BBC.
    Most systems have all these Spanish stations and Japanese stations directly from their country yet I don't see any from the UK. : (

Thanks

2. Feb 5, 2007 #2 of 11
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    No, sorry. BBC America has US rights to BBC content. In Canada, there are a couple of channels that use BBC content, but they're not really the BBC either.

3. Feb 5, 2007 #3 of 11
    geekgirrl

geekgirrl Cool Member

Sep 1, 2006
    How do these sat and cable systems get away with so many stations from other countries and 1/12th a station from the UK. You'd think more brit's would complain.
    Sometimes I just had the "system".

4. Feb 5, 2007 #4 of 11
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    As far as "foreign" channels go, I would have more interest in the real BBC than many of the current offerings... but I can only assume that there must not be as many recent British folks moving to the US as from some other countries... Otherwise I would think demand would be higher.

Of course it could also be a question of cost... it might not be cheap to get an agreement with the BBC.

5. Feb 5, 2007 #5 of 11
    lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Yep, they may want $100 per house here in the US.

6. Feb 6, 2007 #6 of 11
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Seems BBC news would be a good fit here in the states since the Brits speak our
    language, more or less. ;) Frankly, I think broadcast tv news outlets here could do
    a much better job of keeping us informed of world events, instead of none-news
    topics such as tips on dieting, dating or raising our rugrats. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think only a 30-minute timeslot for national and world news is a joke.

7. Feb 6, 2007 #7 of 11
    geekgirrl

geekgirrl Cool Member

Sep 1, 2006
    That is what I'm talking about is the real BBC. I'm not interested in some bone heads idea of what "they" think we'll like and then air it on BBC.
    I would be willing to pay a good amount of money to see everything from all the BBC's unedited.

8. Feb 6, 2007 #8 of 11
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If all the BBCs were offered they would be expensive as international channels. The rights to air the programs in the US are probably the biggest hurdle.

9. Feb 7, 2007 #9 of 11
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    If I could get the BBC for less than $10/mo (after all, isn't the TV tax in the UK something like $100?) I would. As it is, I resort to Usenet to get my fix of Torchwood, Doctor Who, Robin Hood, Life On Mars, Red Dwarf, Spooks, etc.

10. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    You may be able to see what you seek with a FTA system.Good Luck!:)

11. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    That's absolutely true ... if you live in Great Britain! :D

Using FTA in North America, there are scattered BBC shows on PBS, but nothing like what the OP was looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.