1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie, 0x06BE - Issues/Discussion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Stuart Sweet, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This is the official Issues and Discussion thread for all Genie DVRs, version 0x06BE

Release notes: http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/204881-hr44-genie-0x06be/

We ask that you keep polite and focused within this thread, and post as much detail as possible. If your receiver is set up for network issue reporting, please post the key generated by the receiver.

Being part of the DBSTalk community means working together to help each other document issues and come up with solutions. While everyone gets upset from time to time, this is not the appropriate place for vents or rants. All off-topic posts and discussion will be deleted.

Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  2. kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    Also supposed to fix recording-playback freeze issues, but since the problem was so intermittent it's hard to know if it did. But so far. So good.

3. May 3, 2013 #3 of 56
    gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Just got the update yesterday and all seemd fine. Today, when I tune a channel it displays and produces sound for about 3 seconds, then it goes to black with no sound. Seriously non-functional. Am rebooting.

HR34 HDMI through Denon AVR-991 to Samsung PN59D7000

[later]

During reboot the HR34 decided to do a disk check and found some errors. Not sure if all were corrected. This HR34 had been showing signs of a disk fault (freezing frames), so maybe that's all it was. Although I'm not sure how this translates into a HDMI-handshake-type malfunction. At least one recording had been cancelled today "due to unknown error."

TIme will tell if this is the update, the disk or some other problem with the unit, all of which have different solutions.

4. May 3, 2013 #4 of 56
    Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006
    Recurring issues:

3D non functional

"Jump back" when ff with MRV and HR34 as client does not work at all and actually jumps forward

"Jump back" marginally ok with recordings on HR34-needs improvement

Slow channel changes

5. May 3, 2013 #5 of 56
    Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    no change.. same as always. laag, etc.. My last posts I could just copy and paste. DTV your something else.... But golly when that talk app coming out?.... i joke, well not really, but come on fix the broken stuff first for gosh sakes.

RBR time.

6. May 4, 2013 #6 of 56
    wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Is this a controlled rollout? I am still on 067E from march

7. May 4, 2013 #7 of 56
    nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    I have noticed that the program guide responds better using up/down arrows between channels; this used to be fairly slow.

8. May 5, 2013 #8 of 56
    sriggins

sriggins AllStar

Jul 1, 2010
    I too am still on 067E with no scheduled updates according to settings.

9. May 5, 2013 #9 of 56
    sriggins

sriggins AllStar

Jul 1, 2010
    Any word on any HDMI fixes in this release? My HR34 has two HDMI issues:

1) If I reset the DVR, it won't get past the checking satellite settings if my HDMI is plugged in. I have to unplug HDMI, reset the DVR, wait 5 mins, and plug the cable back in
    2) If I sleep/wake the DVR, I lose all of my HDMI resolutions other than 1080p, but the DVR always uses 480p, even though it is unchecked.

Now it seems no matter what I do, the DVR only uses 480p. I can enable 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and the TV will sync and show it in those modes, then each time I press info to confirm, it goes back to 480p. Nothing I do will keep the DVR in non-480p mode. Maybe this is due to booting without HDMI attached to get past issue #1?

10. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Since I got this release, issues that I've had with my HR34 have gotten worse, not better.

HDMI handshake failure: Most of the time I power up my TV & AVR (HR34 is never slept), I get a black screen until I change the channel. This is no doubt an HDMI issue. HDMI to Denon AVR-991 (variant of 3311CI) with video only to Samsung 59PN7000. I can live with this.

Recording freezes: Past recordings have had occasional freezes with no apparent loss of data. Now I'm getting frequent freezing with parts of scenes lost (after comparing to other sources). THis is unacceptable.

Operational failure: As I reported above, I had initial inoperability of the unit following the update. This has not recurred, but reduces my confidence level greatly. It seems we are back to the early days of the HR20.

I am most worried about the recording freezes, though, since this might mean that I have a long-term problem with the hard drive. I am strongly thinking about getting a replacement, as the last 3 recordings I tried to watch were messed up in this way. One was a months-old recording, so losing my recordings might not be an issue.

11. aldiesel

aldiesel Mentor

Oct 27, 2006
    Since the update I am getting recording freezes and black channels with no sounds. I have to do a receiver restart to get the channels back. Also, each update has progressively gotten worse for me. The guide is less responsive, deletes are slower, etc.

12. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Diagnostics show multiple disk issues (3004, 300c, 3016). Might not be firmware. Calling for new unit.

Update: 5/12/2013

Received new Genie last week, now running 0x6be without issue. Or at least without any new issue. Still have trickplay image freeze.

13. betterdan

betterdan Icon

May 22, 2007
    Our HR34 started dropping a few seconds of audio today every few minutes. It did this for hours and then it started losing video too, even the guide. It would blink out and then back on. I went upstairs where the wife was watching tv with one of the C31 clients and she said she wasn't having any problems.
    I ended up rebooting the HR34 and it has been fine since.

14. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    All these complains... and im the one who got scolded for bringing them up all the time. DTV do something right and it will be a game changer for your company and reputation. Do i hate DTV, no not at all, but they do need to focus better on fixing things that are broken before they go to new stuff like voice apps.... And letting out an update that makes things worse is inexcusable on every level.

15. sriggins

sriggins AllStar

Jul 1, 2010
    My Hr34 rebooted tonight, and then stuck at the getting satellite signals screen again. I had to unplug the HDMI and power cycle the box. It rebooted, but I am still on 67E

16. rmmccann

rmmccann AllStar

Apr 16, 2012
    ND, USA
    Mine did the same thing. It hung at the satellite screen but did eventually get through and fired up. We weren't watching TV at the time and all of a sudden noticed the lights come on on the DVR. Thought it was odd so we turned on the TV and noticed it was in self-check. Took about 15 minutes to get through all the steps and back to watching TV. Glad none of our recordings were scheduled at that time.

I thought for sure it was a software update, but we're still on 67E.

17. keebler21

keebler21 Mentor

Oct 22, 2011
    Minnesota
    Same here - I noticed mine rebooted overnight at some point as well but also still on 67E...

18. TedBarrett

TedBarrett Godfather

Oct 10, 2007
    Ditto.

Has this roll out been pulled?

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    All the time is the key..... No one I've seen gets scolded for bringing up real issues.

20. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    If I showed you my Pm's perhaps you would change your mind. Either way, i speak what is on my mind. fanboys may not like it, yet these are real issues that people are having, not smoke and daggers. Some may not like it, thats ok, no biggie....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.