1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie 2 Go question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hookemfins, Sep 26, 2013.

1. hookemfins

hookemfins Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    Just ordered the Genie (unfortunately HR 34 and not 44) with Genie to Go.

I'm upgrading from HR 24s with quite a few recordings left to watch. Would it be possible, before HR 34 installation, to hook up Genie to Go to HR24 and upload a few shows to save?

Most are probably ok to lose but I hate to lose the network shows from local station as none of the network recordings are in HD on VOD.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    First, who are you getting the Genie from and how is it being installed? By DirecTV? If yes, then they come out and install/activate the 34 (and the GenieGo). And take the 24s with them (if it is a swap). Not any time to record to the GenieGo first if going through DirecTV.

How do you know it is a 34 and not a 44?

If you're upgrading and still have shows you want to watch, keep 24s activated so you can watch the shows down. Your signature block says 3 HR24s and 1 H24. Unless you're having problems with the HR24s, I 'd keep as many as I could or need.

You can install the GenieGo and transcode the shows you want to your GenieGo. But after 30 days (assuming you had the HR24s deactivated and returned), the shows will be deleted from the GenieGo. Depending on the shows you want to put on the GenieGo, you might need an external drive. I use a 32GB flash drive. Works great.

So yes you can, but you only get an additional 30 days of watching the shows once you deactivate the DVR they were recorded on.

3. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I'd certainly keep the HR24 over the H24 . . . same monthly cost and 500Gb of space for MRV.

4. hookemfins

hookemfins Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    Sorry, DirecTV installation. I was told by the rep that HR 44 isn't available in my area. I'd love for her to be wrong though. She also that they do not take the boxes with them but instead will send me boxes to return the DVR's in. But if he insists on taking the boxes with him then I'll keep all activated until I have transferred them over. I did plan on keeping one active anyways (HR24-100).

By attaching an external HD, does it run in addition too the GenieGO or as a replacement?

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    It adds to the GenieGo. So my 32gb USB gives me 48 total.

6. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    i can add an external HD to my GenieGo that adds to it's total storage? I have a 2 TB HD will that work?

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Dunno, but I wouldn't. The little boxes may not be able to handle that much data. Also, things expire, and your interest will wane as things get old, or you've watched them on the tellies.