1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie 3D side by side issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by socceteer, Mar 13, 2013.

1. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    Last week I became a new Direct TV customer using Genie. I encountered a problem using the 3D channels. When I switch to the 3D Channel number 114, 116, I get a message indicating that it will use the split screen function and it asks to accept it. It switches to a split screen mode, I get two identical screens side by side and the TV does not recognize the split screen as 3D.

If I go to my TV Panasonic 54 inch 3D TV. and select to change from automatic to split screen, then I get a 3D image. and when I switch back to 2D channels I have to go back to the TV settings and switch back to Auto. Why doesn't switch automatic if the TV is set to automatic..?

In addition when I am in the 3D channels and I want to use the remote to view the guide or change channels. etc. The Genie doe not do anything until I switch the TV back to Auto 3D

I have also tried switching HDMI cables and inputs, Disconnected all HDMI except for Genie (Genie is connected directly to the TV), I have also turn off the Genie while the TV is on, so when I recycle the genie it can hand shake with the TV while it is on, (as suggested by someone). None of these worked.

Does anyone have the same problem and how can I solve it.

2. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    I also have a Panasonic and HR34. Same problem. You have figured out the work around.

It wasn't always like that, the current national software release broke the 3D for some people. Directv is aware of that. There is a new national software release that is on a slow roll. It resolves the issue. Be patient.

3. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    Thanks for the update

4. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    Timings is everything. I got the new software update today and the side by side 3D problem was resolved. However I still have problems controlling Genie when I am in any of the 3D channels. To get out of that channel I have to try any button on the remote until one of them works. Ei. Channel down, up, previous or guide.

5. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Are you using IR or RF on your remote? If it's IR then switching to RF may help with that.

6. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    IR control is the problem here. I had the same problem with my Panny plasma in 3D mode. Apparently, the quick switching of the display interferes with the IR signal from the DIRECTV remote.

Switching to RF completely resolved the problem.

EDIT: Now that I think about it more, it may not be a problem with the screen flashing, but the IR output to sync the active shutter glasses that my display uses. To the OP: Does your display use active shutter 3D glasses or are they passive?

7. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    I have the active glasses, I am using the Direct TV remote control, how do I switch it to RF..?

8. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Verify you have an RF remote. All remotes dont do RF.

RC65RF/RC65RX top left side of remote. Or FCC sticker on back.

Press menu/settings/remote control/advanced or ir/rf. Sort of depends on the model remote.

9. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    Thanks for the advice... I switched to RF and now it works

10. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Good deal..

Now ....Take a deep breath.

Its time to change your sig.;)

11. joed32