1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie and dropped internet connections

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by repoman75, Dec 28, 2013.

1. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    This may have been discussed, but can't find a topic.

So I upgraded to a Genie master with 2 Genie subs. Before upgrading, I had 2 laptops, and ipad, 2 phones, and another router connected to my OLD Verizon DSL Westell D90 modem. Running at 1.5 - 3 mbs speed (top speed offered to me). No issues with surfing the internet, nor speed of surfing.

However, when the Genie was installed, and connected to the router (no issues connecting wirelessly), the PCs would be very slow and/or drop the internet connection... this occurred even if I wasn't using On Demand. If I used On Demand, the PCs would lose internet connection pretty much 100%. I would have to reset the router to get a connection, but the issue would reappear.

Called Verizon - they basically think it's the old modem, so they are sending out a new one. We will see what will happen, but just curious if anyone else has had this issue. I just want to make sure it's not some type of configuration problem (like needing to use certain IP addresses for the Genies, etc.).

Thanks.

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Setting a fixed IP address on the Genie may be a plus, so I'd do that right away. Also, wired systems are solider than wireless. so if you can drop an ethernet cable to the Genie, all the better. Then reboot the receiver.

3. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    How long ago was the Genie installed. For the first 48-72 hours lots of housekeeping is going on.
    It may be pulling day all sorts of things, particularly VOD menu's etc. TV APPs possibly too. That's over the internet.

Keep in mind that if you have 1.5-3mbps DSL, that's your top speed.
    VOD comes down at higher rates if its supported. I can't say for sure but I've read that it goes up to 8mbps.

So it is possible Genie is hogging all your bandwidth with VOD and at other times, shouldn't do much after the first 72 hours.

4. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    Thanks to both of you.

1. How do you set a fixed IP address? Once the Genie connects, it picks 192.168.1.xx ... I don't think it changes after it is given the IP address.
    2. As for the 72 hour downloading of data - I disconnected the Genie from the network since I need to use my laptop - will that hinder the downloading of data? I still have the phone lines connected. Or should I just suck it up and keep the Genie on the network for 3 days? Or maybe just have it connected at night?

Genie was just installed today, like 8 hours ago.

5. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    What type of router do you have(if G it is out of date) Also is it a duel-band. Model 750 or above. ( 900 would be best.)I had the same problem updated the router now no problem. Also give it the 72 hour rule to finish set-up. Do not break the connection from Genie to Internet or set-up will start all over

6. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    This my router through Verizon.

Westell D90 327W15 06.

7. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    Will the setup not continue through the phone line? It has to be through the network?

8. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    No on the phone line- or at least if it worked that way, it'd be news to most here.

Takes some time!

Enjoy.

9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    with a 1.5 connection "g" is NOT the bottleneck. so there would be no difference there. no need to get anything facier

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No, the set up only comes via the internet

11. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    I had the same problem this morning. I was recording a VOD movie with all receivers off and my PC speed was awful and did lose connection at one point. I cancelled the recording, re-started my PC and all was well with my internet speed. I have 10 Gbps speed. My modem/router combo is from Cable.

I have the HR44 hard-wired with ethernet cable.

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    check again, that is impossible

13. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Check what again? If you mean my internet speed, please, this is not even necessary--I have checked quite a few times since joining Blue Ridge Cable. The speed I quoted is correct, and my plan with BRC is G10 service, which I've had for quite some time now. Oh, and I've checked my internet speed at more than one site.

Impossible? Well, I guess even the impossible can happen.

14. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I believe peds refers to the Gigabits designation.... should be Megabits.

15. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    10Gbps. yeah right, again, check again. not even if you are lucky enough to live in an area covered by Google Fiber....

16. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Yup, sorry :blackeye: 10 Gbps should be 10 Mbps :blush:

1 person likes this.
  17. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    Same issues today.

Someone mentioned the IP address for the genie should be static? I checked my router network and the genie is connected dhcp. How do I change it to static?

18. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I really don't see the reason, if if you must, you needy to go to the network set up tab on the Genie menu. and then go to advanced. make sure you give it an IP address that is not likely to be used by the DHCP server

19. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You don't set up a static address at all. What you can do is reserve an IP address in the router's set up.

Sorry- I was thinking GenieGo. I am leaving this in as it may help clarify for some one with that device formerly known as nomad.

20. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Don't worry about a static IP address. Not necessary for your application.

Let the 72 hours connection run and see what happens then.
    Your internet connection is slower than most these days and that is your biggest bottleneck.