1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie and Genie Clients Priority

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by AMike, Oct 13, 2013.

1. AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
    I have an HR44 and 3 clients. Two of the clients were in use by guests spending the weekend with us. The HR44 was recording 2 programs at the same time. My wife and I went to bed and turned on the 3rd client about 1 hour after our guests which was on ESPN2. After we fell asleep, there was a 3rd program being recorded on one of the Cinemax channels. When I woke up this morning, I noticed the client in my bedroom was on that Cinemax channel.

How is the client priority determined? Is it based on the order of the client's being turned on first?

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The clients or even the Genie, grabs what ever tuner is available when is turn on. If all are taken, they the will turn on to one of the 5 tuners at random

3. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Actually I think they pull the last tuner used when they are turned on at first.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

4. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    unless it was used for either recording or a client. so what ever is available is more "accurate"

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Well sort of. I personally find it still seems to grab onto the last tuner used even if it has changed channels and then use to record something. This is coming out of standby mode. That's what I see on my system anyway.

However it will happily change tuners if I try and change channels and the channel that it was on when I turn the power on was recording something.

I believe this is part of the reason people lose buffers when standby and why you can't always guarantee to be on the same channel when you turn on the client after it's been turned off.

6. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    that is the "problem" There is no such thing as "last tuner" more like "last channel"

7. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    How can you say there is no last tuner? Any client including the genie itself can always grab the last tuner used and show whatever is on it when coming out of standby. Even if that tuner is being used by another client. Or two, or even three others as well as being recorded. Genies can share tuners.

I specifically said tuner and not channel because you don't know what channel is on the last tuner the client had used when it was last powered off because it may have been tasked for other things on other channels while the client was off.

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    But how do you know the receiver is grabbing the "last" tuner" There is no way to tell which tuner the Genie is using., or is there?