1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie and Genie Mini in Same Media Cabinet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by spalanmd, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Oct 4, 2013 #1 of 10
    spalanmd

spalanmd New Member

Oct 2, 2013
    I currently have two HD DVRs in the same media cabinet that respond to different sets of IR codes. The video is distributed throughout the house and both are individually controllable. I would like to move to the Genie and Genie mini so I have a unified ToDo list.

From another post it appears the Genie cannot be programmed to use a different set of IR codes. Can the Genie mini be programmed to use a different set of IR codes than the Genie? If not, are there any easy work-arounds?

Thanks in advance!

2. Oct 4, 2013 #2 of 10
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

The mini doesn't record, it tells the genie to record. So the to do list on the mini is not a unified to do list. They are the same.

So you can have a consolidated list by just having a genie in your media cabinet and sending that programming through the house.

3. Oct 4, 2013 #3 of 10
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    But, only the client can display the ToDo list if you are not on the Genie directly. I had my client sitting on top of my Genie for a while and never could get different codes to work, though part of that may have been due to Harmony programming.

4. Oct 4, 2013 #4 of 10
    spalanmd

spalanmd New Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Sorry for the confusion over the todo list. My goal is to maintain the functionality of my current setup, which allows any tv to view video and independently control either of the dvrs.

At most I only need two video streams for 4 different TVs and right now I only have to pay for two receivers. If I can't recreate the same setup I will need 1 genie and 3 clients.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

5. Oct 4, 2013 #5 of 10
    Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Clients monthly costs are the same as any receiver.

6. Oct 4, 2013 #6 of 10
    carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you replace one of your DVRs with the Genie, you can pretty much do what you are currently doing with the Genie having 5 tuners rather than the 2 your current DVR has. You do get a common/shared play list (via whole-home), but you don't get a common to-do list. The biggest problem with this setup is if you schedule a recording from the DVR, you can only schedule it to record on the DVR and if you schedule it from the Genie, you can only schedule it to record on the Genie.

If you replace your entire setup with a Genie and a receiver (not client), you get two video streams, either unit can see recordings from the Genie, and you can schedule recordings on the Genie from either unit. Plus, the receiver has it's own tuner so it doesn't use one of the Genie tuners for live viewing. The receiver should be able to be set to alternate IR codes.

If you replace your entire setup with a Genie and a client, you get two video streams, common playlist and todo list, but I think you have the problem of not being able to set different/unique IR codes.

The recurring monthly cost is identical for all three options.

So whichever of those scenarios gets you closest to what you want is what you should consider pursuing.

7. May 4, 2015 #7 of 10
    ApK

ApK Icon

Mar 6, 2006
    I know this is an old thread, but I suspect the OP and I have the same issue, and we can't be the only ones.
    Using a Genie mini client has the advantage being FREE for many people looking to upgrade.

I have seen conflicting info about whether or not the IR codeset on the HR44 and the mini can be set to be different from each other or not.
    Some say it involves decoupling the RF remote and using an old remote to get to the setting.
    I will experiment on my own and post if learn anything, but if anyone knows for sure that it can be done and how to do it,I think this would be a good thread for it.

Thanks,

ApK

8. May 4, 2015 #8 of 10
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    00001 and 00003 which the AVx setting.

9. May 5, 2015 #9 of 10
    ApK

ApK Icon

Mar 6, 2006
    OK, I wonder if perhaps there had been a software update since most of the threads I found on the topic were written, because it really was pretty straight forward now.
    I used an RC64 remote to do the setup (not sure if this was required, but the switch made everything more convenient) and the HR44 pretty much walked me through setting the code to 0003 on AV1, leaving the client on the default DTV setting.
    Then I used the RC64 to help the Harmony find the right code set when prompted and all is right with the world!

Also, I see there is some sort of advance mode for setups with more than three receivers, but I didn't investigate that.

Thanks, peds48 et al.
    ApK

10. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Glad I was able to help.