1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie and whole home dvr

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by quack05, Aug 6, 2013.

1. quack05

quack05 Cool Member

Nov 26, 2008
    I have a genie now for well over a year. When I got it I told the CSR that I was going to use it as a stand-alone unit so I could record 5 channels if I needed in the livingroom. No problem she said and I moved the older HD/DVR unit to my bedroom. Fastforward to this weekend when I get an email stating I have whole home activated. So I called to ask why and the CSR says that I have to have it if I have a Genie. Explained to her that I have not had whole home since I got it and they did not say I need it. She told me DTV was looking into accounts with the Genie and making them get whole home, after a little talking I wasn't able to get the 3.00 a month whole home taken off but she did credit me the HD fee for 6 months so I come out ahead for a little while.

Question: Do we have to have whole home if we have a Genie?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes you must either pay the standalone whole-home fee or the Advanced Receiver Services fee (which bundles HD, DVR and Whole Home service) if you have a Genie DVR. It's just their policy.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, better to pay the standalone fee than the ARS as you will save $2.00 a month

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The good thing is you'll come out ahead for about a year.

5. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Whole home is no longer an optional feature. It is part of the Advanced Receiver fee of $25/mth. This includes HD-DVRs (Genie is an HD-DVR). Current customers who opted out will be able to avoid the upgrade for an undetermined, but limited time.

-=K=-

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Not all customers have that fee, only newer customers in the past two years or so. For older customers, it is an optional service unless there is a Genie.