1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie freezing issues when changing the channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mldardy, Oct 19, 2013.

1. mldardy

mldardy New Member

Oct 19, 2013
    I've had problems with the Genie when changing the channels using the up and down buttons. Every now and then it locks up on me. Most of the time when I watching Sunday ticket/using picture in picture. That has happened quite often. It also happened when I was watching ESPN and I pushed the scoreguide and it wouldn't change. The tech support woman told me to try using the up and down buttons on the receiver and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. She also said they haven't had any cases with this problem. I've had to reset the receiver a lot and I've only had the Genie since September. Extremely frustrating. There has to be a better way.

2. mldardy

mldardy New Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Wow no one able to help. Really?

3. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    If you called DirecTV, and they have not been able to help you, why haven't they just sent you a replacement receiver?

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How is your system hooked up? You connected to the Internet?

5. mldardy

mldardy New Member

Oct 19, 2013
    I'm hooked up wireless. I don't use the directv remote I use a Harmony One. I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with what is happening but I don't know. I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what they've done to get i resolved.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Well it could be anything. So I start with elimination a few things. I reset network defaults and basically disconnect I from the Internet. You say wireless, built in or wifi deca?

Also I'd use the original remote for a by and see what happens. In it and then in rf mode for a while. Could be a it issue of some sort. What kind if tv do you have?

7. mldardy

mldardy New Member

Oct 19, 2013
    I'm using built in wireless.

And it did it again today when I started using Sunday Ticket: 2 things I do while watching this: PiP, Using Custom 1 as channel favorites, I had to reset again. I did what you suggested and used the original remote after reset. I will try it again next Sunday and see what happens. Thanks

8. reds1963

reds1963 Godfather

Aug 28, 2007
    Columbus,Ohio
    I to use the original remote and this happens at least once a week to me , they have no reason for it , just re boot and go for another week ...

9. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Do you have the HR34? If so, this is the nature of the beast.

10. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Not necessarily, I have an HR34 and I do not have any of these issues.

11. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I
    I do. Complete freeze up of remote response. Can only use the front panel buttons to get to menu reset. I'm pretty sure I've read a lot of posts on here regarding that.

12. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Really? Then why aren't peds48 and I experiencing the OP's issues with our HR34-700s?

13. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I understand what you are saying Mystery Man - one can't take the "majority" and assign it to everyone. But in all the issues threads and many, many of the Direct TV threads, there seems to be a preponderance of issues with the HR34 that no one seems able to resolve. Stuart even started a whole thread on how to run and post a report for issues with Genie freezing and pixelation. The majority of the posts seem to be about the HR34.

14. pakrnut

pakrnut New Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I have a HR-34-700. I have experienced both freezing of the TV picture as well as the receiver being non-responsive to the remote control since 0x740. I was hoping that 0x744 would resolve but it seems to have gotten worse. Send report ID: 20131019-32DE. Details:

1. Freezing - picture stays frozen for around a 10-15 second period. This has happened on live shows as well as recordings.
    2. Non-responsive to remote - At times, the receiver does not respond to certain commands. The ones I have noticed are all D-pad functions including the select button, play/pause/rewind/stop and the number pad. This problem seems to happen everytime I use the double-play feature. Oddly, menu and info buttons continue to work. To see if this was remotes related, I tried different remotes - IR, RF, different models and two different remote apps - same results.

15. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Many of these issues are related to tNBC issues that seems to only affect the HR34. FYI this wildly reported issue is not affecting me either. perhaps MysteryMan and myself have the only two working HR34s.

16. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I am not alone. Re-read this thread. When I am ready to watch TV, the first thought I have when I press the "on" button my my remote is "Will it work tonight?"

17. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I'm not doubting the issues you and others are experiencing. I was just pointing out that not everyone with a HR34 is experiencing what you and others are. Keep in mind we who are members of DBSTalk are a very small percentage of DirecTV customers and do not represent the majority of those customers. Given that it's illogical to assume what the "nature of the beast" is with any model receiver.

18. tf92

tf92 Cool Member

Aug 7, 2008
    My Hr-34 was doing the same thing and I went on about 3 weeks resetting the unit before I decided to call in. I got it replaced and the new one seems to be working fine. When I called in they run a test on it and even tried to send a signal to it but the unit was unresponsive.