1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie Go Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by mreaves53, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Oct 8, 2013 #1 of 10
    mreaves53

mreaves53 Cool Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Odenville, Al
    I have just recently installed a Genie Go. I have several questions that I hope people on this forum that are smarter than I can help me with.

I have Windstream as my ISP. I had to disconnec the power to my Genie Go and when I did, my DSL modem did not assign the Genie Go the static IP I had programmed into the modem. Any ideas why not?

Since that happened I had to change the port forwarding on the modem. My laptop works with OOH, but my Galaxy S III does not. Is there any way I can sync my Galaxy S III remotely.

Does the Genie Go have a GUI that is accessible to the end user?

Is there any way to remotely restart the Genie Go?

Thanks in advance.

2. Oct 8, 2013 #2 of 10
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I have just recently installed a Genie Go. I have several questions that I hope people on this forum that are smarter than I can help me with.

I have Windstream as my ISP. I had to disconnec the power to my Genie Go and when I did, my DSL modem did not assign the Genie Go the static IP I had programmed into the modem. Any ideas why not?

Since that happened I had to change the port forwarding on the modem. My laptop works with OOH, but my Galaxy S III does not. Is there any way I can sync my Galaxy S III remotely.

Does the Genie Go have a GUI that is accessible to the end user?

Is there any way to remotely restart the Genie Go?

Thanks in advance.
    OOH in not yet supported on Android. There is no "settings" GUI on the GenieGo. No way to restart the GenieGo from afar, short of calling "significant other" over the phone to do a reset.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

3. Oct 8, 2013 #3 of 10
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Double-check the MAC address of the GenieGo is what you assigned to the reservation in the modem / router. Some routers allow setting a reservation outside of the DHCP range, some don't. Once it's reserved, it really doesn't matter.

4. Oct 8, 2013 #4 of 10
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DSL modems do not assign IP addresses. If you have a somewhat sophisticated router or DSL gateway (combination modem and router), you may be able to set up a DHCP reservation based on the GenieGo's MAC address. Many modern routers will remember MAC addresses and assign the same IP address to a device each time it makes a request in essence creating their own address reservation system.

Obviously, the long term secret to success lies in not carelessly chopping the power to the GenieGo.

Helpful tips:
    • Don't used switched outlet strips with sophisticated electronic devices.
    • Don't leave any free outlets; they tend to attract vacuum cleaners and carpet shampooers.
    • Don't put sophisticated electronics on circuits that also serve appliances.
    • Monster branded equipment has work-alikes that will be significantly cheaper and every bit as effective.

5. mreaves53

mreaves53 Cool Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Odenville, Al
    Does OOH work on iPhones?

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes;

Not on Android though yet ...

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes.

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Of course. Apple devices always seems to get more love from DirecTV than Android!

9. GLJones

GLJones AllStar

Feb 12, 2008
    Android is so fragmented it takes a lot more effort to build the apps than the one build to reach a larger potential iOS audience.

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Android is so fragmented it takes a lot more effort to build the apps than the one build to reach a larger potential iOS audience.
    Exactly!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD