1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie HD Upgrade :)?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ncage, Jul 8, 2014.

1. ncage

ncage New Member

Jul 5, 2014
    IL
    Sorry guys i just keep of thinking of more and more questions tonight :). Anyways it looks like the upgrade is easy (unless you want to try to directly upgrade the internal drive) by just plugging an external esata drive into the genie. I've read that is not in addition to. So if you plugged in a 1TB drive you wouldn't be upgrading anything and would have the same amount of space.

With that being said is there any drive size limitations? Will it work with a 4TB drive or anything specifically you need to look for when you buy your drive? I'll probably just buy a 3.5in enclosure along with an internal drive. When you do the upgrade do you have the ability to copy what you have already DVR'd to the new drive or do you loose all your recordings? Again thanks for putting up with my many questions :)

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You gain only space- no recordings on the internal are available whilst running off the external. You also cannot play the external off of any other DIRECTV receiver, nor copy them elsewhere.

There are a couple of long threads regarding this, will help narrow down choice of enclosure. AFAIK, there's no limit to the size of the drive for the 44's.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And the series links are on the drive. It's really best to start off with an external. One word of warning (putting Laxguy's comment in different terms), if you put on a very large drive and the Genie needs replaced, your recordings will no longer be available.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Although, if you record a lot of ota, those would work on a new genie, as ota is not tied to a box at all.